Looking for earbuds or wireless IEMs but have a $100 budget
Mar 26, 2024 at 6:37 PM Post #17 of 21
I sense some confusion here.

Just to re-iterate what others have said, IEMs (In-Ear Monitors) come in both custom and universal forms. A custom IEM (often abbreviated CIEM) is molded to users' ears and looks like this:

UltimateEarsUE4smallerpic_600x.png

A universal IEM is not molded to any one person, and uses tips - typically either silicone or foam - to achieve a seal. Commonly abbreviated as UIEM (or simply IEM), universals look like this:

0_-1.jpg

That happens to be the Truthear Hexa universal IEM above. In other words, the thing that you thought was an earbud, is actually NOT an earbud.

Earbuds are very-specifically a type of in-ear headphone that does not seal, and where the transducer housing is usually shaped like a flower's bud (hence the name). They look like this:

apos-audio-moondrop-earphone-in-ear-monitor-iem-moondrop-chaconne-earbud-earphones-11440084484170_800x.jpg

Mar 26, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #18 of 21
Mar 27, 2024 at 11:37 AM Post #19 of 21
I've narrowed it down to these two Truthear IEMs: Zero blue and Zero red. They're under $50 on Amazon right now. Anyone tried both? Reviews said one is harman and the other IEF but after some googling, I still don't have a clear understanding of what that means. One review said blue is a little brighter, red warmer. Sounds like red has more bass, which could be good for me, if it's not muddy.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM3H8JFK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3OGU47PDPAJIO&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CM3GGZDZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A3OGU47PDPAJIO&psc=1

Mar 27, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #20 of 21
If you Google something like "Truthear Zero Blue" vs. "Truthear Zero Red", you can find a lot of comparisons. They generally view the Red as an improvement, with more bass, and it comes with an adapter that gives you even more bass. Sounds like that's a good one for you.

Mar 28, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #21 of 21
Got the Red, just arrived. First impression: i like the soundscape and bass definition though they're pretty uncomfortable even after trying multiple tips, and the cable is longer than I would like, especially for using while at the gym. Gonna give them a little time before deciding whether to return them and opt for earbuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back