Looking for "detailed", "analytical" full-sized cans (below $100 for chinese and up to $150~200 for brands)
Nov 29, 2014 at 11:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Astro88

New Head-Fier
Hi!
My main phones are Shure SRH-840. Overall they are great, but they are too "audiophile". I'd prefer something more distant, analytical and sterile. Main goal - critical shortwave listening, "professional" use (monitoring, not mixing of course) and not fatiguing music listening. In other words a good pair of closed cans to 840's with slightly different signature.

What is most important for me:
- transparency
- detailed and analytical sound
- neutral or slightly warm signature with slightly recessed bass and treble
- left-side cable

What would be good:
- scene
- isolation above average for closed cans
- detachable coiled cable

What won't make me pay more:
- foldability
- decoration

What I'd prefer to avoid:
- two sided cable
- any inconvenience like small earpads, too short headband, etc.

First of all I'm looking for inexpensive chinese talents below $100. For brands I'm going to pay up to $150, maximum $200. In extraordinary case would look for even more. I'm not going to buy an amp.

Many thanks!

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 7
  Hi!
My main phones are Shure SRH-840. Overall they are great, but they are too "audiophile". I'd prefer something more distant, analytical and sterile. Main goal - critical shortwave listening, "professional" use (monitoring, not mixing of course) and not fatiguing music listening. In other words a good pair of closed cans to 840's with slightly different signature.

What is most important for me:
- transparency
- detailed and analytical sound
- neutral or slightly warm signature with slightly recessed bass and treble
- left-side cable

What would be good:
- scene
- isolation above average for closed cans
- detachable coiled cable

What won't make me pay more:
- foldability
- decoration

What I'd prefer to avoid:
- two sided cable
- any inconvenience like small earpads, too short headband, etc.

First of all I'm looking for inexpensive chinese talents below $100. For brands I'm going to pay up to $150, maximum $200. In extraordinary case would look for even more. I'm not going to buy an amp.

Many thanks!

Hi,

You should consider SoundMagic HP150.
Bass could be a little bit above neutral, though.

Best Luck!

Nov 29, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #3 of 7
Analytical headphones are most of the times on the bright side of neutral, so asking for analytical + warm with recessed treble is almost a contradiction.

If you want analytical headphones then SRH-940 are the way to go.

HP150 should be warmer but still pretty neutral.

Nov 29, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #4 of 7
Me x3, ¡muchas gracias por la respuesta y los consejos!

I'm somewhat afraid of an emphasized bass. It is fun for most kind of music but is not good for midrange perception. I'm looking for a little bit recessed bass, a little bit softened trebles (I mean not overly bright like, for an example, well known DT 770 32 ohm) - and perfect midrange, as clear and transparent as possible (for the price). I'm pretty sure detailed sound on mids does not require too much trebles. Low distortions make the sound transparent and detailed on any frequency, not overall brightness.

Have to say I'm not familiar with plenty existing headphones and thus any opinion is very welcome. Many thanks again!

Nov 29, 2014 at 9:30 PM Post #5 of 7
  Me x3, ¡muchas gracias por la respuesta y los consejos!

I'm somewhat afraid of an emphasized bass. It is fun for most kind of music but is not good for midrange perception. I'm looking for a little bit recessed bass, a little bit softened trebles (I mean not overly bright like, for an example, well known DT 770 32 ohm) - and perfect midrange, as clear and transparent as possible (for the price). I'm pretty sure detailed sound on mids does not require too much trebles. Low distortions make the sound transparent and detailed on any frequency, not overall brightness.

Have to say I'm not familiar with plenty existing headphones and thus any opinion is very welcome. Many thanks again!

You're welcome!

What you are looking for is quite hard to find!

You could also read about AKG K271, K550, K545 and Sennheiser Momentum.
You might also be interested in the Mr Speakers Mad Dog.

It's a lot easier to find open back headphones with a smoother and more midcentric sound signature:

HD598
AD900x

Best Luck!

Nov 30, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #6 of 7
Me x3, thanks again!

Your recommendation gives me a good direction to read about and then to listen to.

About open... I need an isolation. Average isolation is seem to be enough but quieter is better. To choose open cans I'd better start another recommendation thread. :)

Have a nice day!

Dec 1, 2014 at 9:26 AM Post #7 of 7
After reading some reviews I've found that first I could try the K271s. Most people hate them for the bass that does not exist at all. Lots of measurements proof this fact. But theoretically they will exactly fit my needs as I really looking for that kind of early bass recession. They seem to be durable, spare parts are easy to find, cables may be easily manufactured at home. Need to find a local store where I can listen to them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back