Looking for comfy headphones for home use. Recommendations?
Dec 16, 2014 at 8:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

BrainArt

New Head-Fier
I already have on the go headphones - Focal Spirit One - of which I like the sound a lot. For home use I'd like a more comfortable set of cans though. 

Budget: $150/€120 (I prefer to buy second hand, but I'm living in the Netherlands (small country) so a lot of "rare" cans aren't available that way)
Use: Home/bed
Source: Realtek ALC 898/phone
Music genre: Progressive Rock/Metal
Past headphones: HD202 (sold), Philips Uptown, Focal Spirit One

For the sound I like to have a really tight sounding, deep, punchy sub-bass to hear/feel the kick drums. I don't like very bloaty, overshadowing bass though, the upper bass should be present, but not overly present. I liked the bass of the Momentums, to give you an idea. 
I also like strong (again, not overly strong) mids, the Focal Spirit One made me realize that. The highs shouldn't be harsh, and can (not necessary though) be a little recessed. 

As for open vs. closed: I don't mind either of them, as long as they're comfortable and the bass has adequate extension. Don't care a lot about soundstage, but I'd like more than the ATH-M50s

I'm currently considering:
-HD558 (not sure if bass will be tight/deep enough)
-HD600 (same as HD558. may be a little too expensive, have seen kinda good deals second hand though)
-Momentum (earpad size? Also, quite a bit too expensive)
-Beyer DT770/DT990 (mids too much recessed? tell me)
-Fidelio L1 (tell me, is it what I'm looking for?)

Thanks for reading so far! 
Oh, one more thing: I like to listen to music before sleeping, so if anyone has good experience with that (or with lying down on pillows in general), please tell me 
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 16, 2014 at 6:46 PM Post #2 of 3
If your device will drive a 30 Ohm can with about average sensitivity, check out the Philips Fidelio X1.

Beware that the HD 600 is a 300 Ohm can.  The best versions of the DT 770 and DT 990 are 250 Ohms and up.  Few devices can properly drive these cans without an amp.

Dec 16, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #3 of 3
  If your device will drive a 30 Ohm can with about average sensitivity, check out the Philips Fidelio X1.

Beware that the HD 600 is a 300 Ohm can.  The best versions of the DT 770 and DT 990 are 250 Ohms and up.  Few devices can properly drive these cans without an amp.

Thanks for your response.

I realize that about the HD 600 now, that was a bit short-sighted of me. I did try the DT 770 250 ohm on my phone and I didn't have volume issues though. Sadly the Fidelio X1 is too steeply priced in the Netherlands.. It does seem like a really nice headphone though. Considering saving up a little...

Meanwhile, anyone have any suggestions?  

EDIT: DT 770 could've been the 80 ohm version, not sure

Users who are viewing this thread

Back