Looking for closed headphones under $200 for subway use
Nov 18, 2014 at 10:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

breeze41

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

First timer here.  I found out about this forum from the /r/headphones section on Reddit.  Recently I've begun searching for closed back headphones to use while traveling the subway in NY.  I am not interested in IEM's or headphones that are extremely large.  I do down an Audio Technica ATH AD700, which I bought a couple years back.  I love them, but they are more suited for home use rather than traveling. 

Through my research the only two headphones that my budget can handle are either the HD25-1 ii or Amperior.  From all the research I've done, the Amperior is superior depending on what you are doing.  For recreational listening it is recommended to go with the Amperior.  I was hoping to find them at a discounted price since I see they are discontinued, but I've not had any luck with sales.  Some used versions pop up on Amazon, but I am not too confident in them.

Are there any other headphones around the $200 range that are portable while remaining decently compact like the Amperior or HD25-1 ii?

Thanks a lot guys and it's great to be part of the community!

Nov 19, 2014 at 7:15 AM Post #4 of 4
  check out koss porta pro :)

Ah, I saw those when they were on sale just a few days ago I believe.  I will keep my eye out for them again.

Amperiors are quite good. They are $189 currently on amazon, they were $359 when they came out. They are easy to drive, isolate well and sound great. A steal for the price.

Yea this is what I was thinking as well based on the reviews and research I've done so far.  This is the first time I'm dropping big bucks on audio and I'm very excited so I do want my first purchase to be worth the effort and research.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back