Looking for closed cans with circumaural design
Jan 24, 2009 at 9:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

rueyloon

New Head-Fier
Hello

After years of looking from the sidelines, I got a Alessandro MS1 from Jaben (a local store in Singapore) last a few days ago.
I was using the Panasonic retro HTX7 looking headphones but the pad had started to peel so it's a great time to spend some money
smily_headphones1.gif

I had a great session at Jaben picking out the headphones. There was definitely an appreciable difference between the GR60 and the MS1. The GR60 sounds too neutral to me while the MS1 is definitely more musical.

Now here is the problem, I've never had an open can before and I'm getting them for use during commuting to work and also for use in my office. I guess I didn't understand why people usually don't recommend this type of cans for outdoor use until I experienced it for myself. There is just too much
sound leaking inside. It really distract from enjoying the music. The MS1 sounds great, but they need to be used in a quiet environment.

So here's the question, are there any closed cans with circumaural design that I should take a look at ? I hope to narrow down my choices to around 3 then I can go for another audition at Jaben
smily_headphones1.gif

hope you guys can give me some nice suggestions.

Cheers

Jan 24, 2009 at 11:52 AM Post #3 of 12
Jan 24, 2009 at 11:57 AM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ES7
ESW9
HD25
HD25-I

Aren't those supra-aural (on the ear)?
OP is asking for circum-aural (around the ear).

Jan 24, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aren't those supra-aural (on the ear)?
OP is asking for circum-aural (around the ear).

Oh, sorry. In that case get a supra-aural instead, because all of the circum-aural cans have isolation that's barely better than an open-back. They'll do the trick in your office, but not on a bus.

Jan 24, 2009 at 1:02 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, sorry. In that case get a supra-aural instead, because all of the circum-aural cans have isolation that's barely better than an open-back. They'll do the trick in your office, but not on a bus.

That's not completely true. For example, DT770 Pro's, DT150, HD280 and K271/K272 isolates very good. Much better than any open headphone.
And I'm sure there are others as well. See also the excellent review thread on 15 closed headphones I mentioned earlier

Jan 24, 2009 at 1:06 PM Post #8 of 12
IEM still king, Closed Over/Around-ear do a fairly good job... keeping out say the keyboard typing noises in the office and general chatter even on moderate volumes.

Closed wise i would go for the A series from Audio-Technica.

Jan 24, 2009 at 1:14 PM Post #9 of 12
Audio-technica A900. They're funky looking.

Jan 25, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiemen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not completely true. For example, DT770 Pro's, DT150, HD280 and K271/K272 isolates very good. Much better than any open headphone.
And I'm sure there are others as well. See also the excellent review thread on 15 closed headphones I mentioned earlier

I cannot even hear the phone ringing when it is right next to me while I am listening to my DT-770's.

Jan 25, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #12 of 12
The sennhieser (sp?) hd280 pros have really good isolation. Used them on airplanes and subways without much trouble, and I keep my music volume pretty low.

That said they and probably most circumaural cans tend to be goofy big, and iems are easier to deal with (well except for occasionally pulling out an earwax gob when your boss walks into your cubicle...)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back