Looking for a good neutral set of closed headphones for under $200
Nov 20, 2014 at 12:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Garraty

100+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

Unfortunately, my headphone needs have shifted and I'm moving out from my single dorm into one with a roommate, so I'm selling off my HD 598's. 
frown.gif
 With the money from selling the HD 598's and some spare cash, I should have enough to get a good pair of closed headphones for about $200. I'm willing to spend a bit more than that (budget: $150-$250) but not too much over; the headphones should be pretty comfortable and fairly adjustable with large pads(I have a big head and ears).

I'm looking for a fairly neutral over-ear closed-back headphone (so no Audio-Technica, 
tongue.gif
) with a fairly airy soundstage (for a closed-back). They should have tight yet punchy bass (not overwhelming) with realistic, slightly forward mids (reproduce vocals well) that are good with both male and female vocalists (HD 600?) and slightly sparkly treble (a bit north of neutral). In case this is necessary, I listen to mostly acoustic, alternative/indie rock, twee pop, electronica, hip hop and some classical and jazz, so the headphones should do all genres fairly well (except for perhaps metal).

Looking around, I found the SoundMAGIC HP100 to fit all my requirements (just don't like how the cups are easily scratched) but I also found the Beyerdynamic DT770 to be an interesting option (though I'm looking for a headphone with more of a warmer, airier, DT880-like sound signature, it seems). I'm looking for any recommendations and/or advice on the subject, so feel free to give your own experiences with said headphones (or your own) or just recommend a pair. 

Thanks!

Nov 20, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #3 of 10
Try looking at the SoundMAGIC HP150 - thanks for the excuse to try them for a bit!

These are on the 'fun' side of neutral - the 'fun' bits pretty much matching what you're describing. Tight bass, mids slightly forward but smooth, and a bit of brightness at the top again without straying into 'ouch!' territory.

I have better and more expensive headphones at home, but I still want these! There's little hope for me..

Nov 20, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #4 of 10
  Try looking at the SoundMAGIC HP150 - thanks for the excuse to try them for a bit!

These are on the 'fun' side of neutral - the 'fun' bits pretty much matching what you're describing. Tight bass, mids slightly forward but smooth, and a bit of brightness at the top again without straying into 'ouch!' territory.

I have better and more expensive headphones at home, but I still want these! There's little hope for me..

Thanks for the recommendation! I thought of the HP150 but based on what I've read up on, they seem to have the same drivers as the HP100 but because of the different material (to adjust for damping) perhaps, they seem to sound more bassier and have a more V-shape sound signature.

On the other hand, I've also heard that they have the same sound signature as the HP100's so I'm conflicted. Overall, I'm a little on the fence on the SoundMAGIC's since it seems the bass and treble very slightly overpower the midrange while I prefer the midrange to be a bit more forward than the bass and treble. 

Nov 20, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #5 of 10
I own the HP100 and the bass is only elevated in the sub-bass area, so it doesn't affect the mids at all.  The treble might be a bit bright for some people but don't think they are particularly harsh.  If you go for the Soundmagic I would recommend the HP150 because it comes with a straight cable instead of the coiled one the HP100 has.  I would suggest you try the NAD HP50 and see if they are comfortable to you.  The NAD has fuller mids and more even bass response but they are rolled off in the treble.  The reason I don't own the NAD is that they are really uncomfortable to me.

Nov 21, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #6 of 10
Hi Garraty,

My favorite at this price is XPT100 / HM5 (measurements). These mods bring up the sub-bass some and smooth out the mids some. I like to use a little stiff felt in front of the driver to shove down the treble. But it sounded good to me stock and the mods are optional.

Best luck,
C.

Nov 21, 2014 at 6:55 PM Post #7 of 10
Hi Garraty,

My favorite at this price is XPT100 / HM5 (measurements). These mods bring up the sub-bass some and smooth out the mids some. I like to use a little stiff felt in front of the driver to shove down the treble. But it sounded good to me stock and the mods are optional.

Best luck,
C.

Very interesting! I had thought of buying the HM5 but with the money I have, I think I could buy a pair of cans that are slightly better. I'm definitely keeping the Fischer FA003-TI in mind though I'm not too sure on that since there is little information on it and it's a pain in the rear end to find.

Nov 21, 2014 at 11:27 PM Post #8 of 10
I'm definitely keeping the Fischer FA003-TI in mind though I'm not too sure on that since there is little information on it and it's a pain in the rear end to find.

I wouldn't get the Ti as measurements show it has a lot more treble. The other Yoga clones are all the same so far as I know.

I recently heard AustinValentine's similarly modded MDR-1R and it's good too--goes pretty low, not bright, fully over ear (pads maybe a little shallow but comfy), feels light on the head, looks good, portable. So that's another choice.

Hope it works out.

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #10 of 10
 Denon AH D1100.

I own it and also listen to the same genres as you.

They are $200 on Amazon, but if you shop around you can find a better price.

Very comfortable, great bass and soundstage. Awesome for dnb, dubstep, reggae, etc.

No need for amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back