Looking for a good headphones for glasses wearers
Feb 21, 2012 at 8:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

sagiweis

New Head-Fier
Hello,
Im looking for a new set of headphones, the reason that im getting rid of my old ones is that they are very not comfortable for glasses wearers, they give me headaches (i cant wear them more than 1-2 hours at a time). So  i need some help to find a new pair that will be comfortable, with good sound, mainly for computer games -  around 50$. If you know of a kind that are especially good for glasses wearers (maybe with soft pads or something like that) please let me know.

btw: i saw in few websites that they recommands KOSS PortaPro or Sony MDR-XD200, someone who wears glasses has some experience with those models?
 Thanks for your help 
regular_smile .gif

Feb 21, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #3 of 15
IEM's, maybe, although those come with their own comfort issues for some people. The KSC75 has (if I recall correctly) the same drivers as the PortaPro, but clips over the ear like glasses; I've worn them comfortably with glasses.

Feb 21, 2012 at 9:36 AM Post #4 of 15
i hate iem's... 
thanks MalVeauX, the samsons & panasonic seems nice for the budget. but are they really comfortable to wear with glasses?
since im probably will buy them from amazon/ebay i dont have an option to try them before i buy. so i need to be pretty sure.
any ideas about the portapro or the xd200? i have heard that they are especially comfortable for glasses wearers.
oh and,  maybe the budget can go up to around 70$, it depends of the sound quality and comfort (its really important to me).

Feb 21, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #5 of 15
Koss Porta Pros are very comfortable to wear with glasses, since they don't press your ears against the earpiece of the glasses frames.  They are also extremely light and sound better to me than those Panasonics.

The Creative Aurvana Live! would be a step up in sound quality, and most find them comfortable.  I don't own them, so I haven't tried them for hours at a time however.  Their price drops periodically on Amazon, down to the $55-60 range, so you need to catch them on sale.

Feb 21, 2012 at 10:45 AM Post #6 of 15
Thanks for the help.
The portspros doesnt have those soft pads that alot of the on-ear headphones does, does it harm the sound quality? plus, they look pretty fragile and cheap in compare to the samsons or the sony's. isnt that the case? (this is pretty much the only problem i have with the Portapro, because i see good reviews about their comfort)

Feb 21, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #8 of 15
I have the Samson 850's and they are just fine with glasses.  Miles ahead of my behind the head / around the ear logitech headset.  My head is smaller though so clamp force is not an issue.

Feb 21, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
Thanks for the help.
The portspros doesnt have those soft pads that alot of the on-ear headphones does, does it harm the sound quality? plus, they look pretty fragile and cheap in compare to the samsons or the sony's. isnt that the case? (this is pretty much the only problem i have with the Portapro, because i see good reviews about their comfort)

The Porta Pro's have small foam pads that fit on the ear.  Their construction is fairly robust actually, with one exception.  I've had the sound drop out entirely on one side on two different sets.  I think the strain relief isn't quite good enough.  Koss replaced them under their lifetime warranty, with no charge other than shipping back to them.  Porta Pro's are fairly bass heavy, and compared to many sets in the $30-$70 price range they lack some detail in their sound.  High end also drops off.  But they are fun to listen to, and once you get used to their fit, you pretty much forget you're wearing anything.  I'd take them any day of the week over the Panasonic HTF600.

If your price range can go all the way to $70, you should take a close look at the CAL's, the Samson 850 and the Superlux 668 too. 

Feb 21, 2012 at 3:54 PM Post #10 of 15
ok, i think i pretty much got it. so it comes up to: PortaPros, Superlux 668, Samson 850 and the Creative Aurvana Live. but again, not ideas at all on the sony mdr-xd200 (just to make sure that im not leaving any model unchecked) ?
Thanks alot.

Feb 22, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #11 of 15

Quote:

The Creative Aurvana Live! would be a step up in sound quality, and most find them comfortable.  I don't own them, so I haven't tried them for hours at a time however.  Their price drops periodically on Amazon, down to the $55-60 range, so you need to catch them on sale.

+ 1--and they are well worth the wait.

Apr 26, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #12 of 15
Hi sagiweis,

Ok so I may be the idiot here BUT I too wear glasses and find most headphones that are Grados/ on-ear/ clip-on/ heavy utterly piss-me-off-o-matic. I can't stand them!

So my recommendation is go for headphones that are over-ear, that don't grip too tight and that are light-ish.

I recommend the ATH-M30's as your solution!

These are what I currently use and were my first phones' ever! They are great, built like a tank and have that nice, neutral studio sound.

Similar cans are the Sony MDR-V6/V7 if you care.

Also, I find the comfort to be partly due to the type of ear pads on the headphones.
Velours pads are rather stiff and don't let the glasses' frames sink into them as much as foam pads do.

my ten cents

Apr 26, 2012 at 10:03 AM Post #13 of 15
Velours pads are rather stiff and don't let the glasses' frames sink into them as much as foam pads do.

I don't know anyone else has noticed this, but some velour pads (notably the K701 pads) "squeak" against the plastic arms of my glasses. It can be annoying during quiet passages. I've gone so far as to put making tape on the ear pads where they make contact with my glasses arms. I've never had that problem with leather or pleather pads. This probably isn't an issue with metal glasses frames.

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:14 AM Post #14 of 15

Quote:
..., but some velour pads (notably the K701 pads) "squeak" against the plastic arms of my glasses. It can be annoying during quiet passages...

Hmm, well I've found that to be the case mostly with any hard leather/plastic pads but not with velour, mind you, this may be relevant only to your glasses. Changing the pads on headphones is another remedy here.

For example, I just recently tried on some SR80's that had the cheapo soft foam pads on them, and they were surprisingly comfortable and light vs. the hard cone shaped pads.

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #15 of 15
As a glasses wearer, I sympathize. I own a pair of the Sennheiser PX 100-IIi's. I can wear them for 8 hours straight at work with no discomfort. Over 8, and I start to feel a pinch.

Sent from my Atrix 4G ( Unlocked. Rooted . CM7 ) using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back