Looking for a Euphonic / Holographic Sounding Tube Amp thats cheap
Nov 18, 2014 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

crazychile

1000+ Head-Fier
I currently have a Schiit Lyr 2 Amp paired with a Schiit Bifrost Uber DAC. My main Headphones are AKG 702s, but I also rotate headphones from Grado, Audio Technica, Koss, and Etymotic into the system. I like the Schiit setup, but because the Lyr 2 is a Hybrid Tube amp it sounds pretty neutral and not especially like a tube amp. There are times when I want a more classic tube sound.

I've owned some all tube non-headphone systems in previous decades where the sound was absolutely holographic. Using Magneplanar or B&W speakers, usually an EL34 based amp (or two) and vintage tube preamps from Luxman, Dynaco, or Counterpoint. I'd like to get that sort of sound again using Headphones. Here's my main criteria:

1. Desktop Amp that's affordable (<$400)
2. I will not use vintage NOS tubes that cost a fortune, are hard to find, etc. If the amp doesn't sound pretty decent with stock tubes or easy to source   current production samples, I'm not interested.
3. The amp doesn't need to be great on bass. I'm more focused on the mids and highs sounding euphonic, 3D etc.

So what should I be looking at?

Thanks!

Nov 18, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #2 of 3
Hello,

I am currently using Garage1217 Project Sunrise III with 6AU7 tubes by RCA. By far, pretty good combo with my K702/65. Right amount of warm boost. But if you wish to have more warmth and more tube sound, 12AU7 is the answer. Jeremy @ Garage1217 is very friendly to talk to and I believe you can talk with him regarding your tubes selection as well as he sells wide ranges of tubes. You can probably try asking some other tubes as stock tube for your unit or whatsoever.

Hope it helps
Billson :)

Nov 20, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #3 of 3
Hello,

I am currently using Garage1217 Project Sunrise III with 6AU7 tubes by RCA. By far, pretty good combo with my K702/65. Right amount of warm boost. But if you wish to have more warmth and more tube sound, 12AU7 is the answer. Jeremy @ Garage1217 is very friendly to talk to and I believe you can talk with him regarding your tubes selection as well as he sells wide ranges of tubes. You can probably try asking some other tubes as stock tube for your unit or whatsoever.

Hope it helps
Billson
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks.  I'd never heard of them before. The price is right and I do have a stash of 12AU7s from a preamp I built years ago. I might have to look into this brand some more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back