Looking for a closed Head Phone for music/gaming that doesn't require an amp
Jan 23, 2013 at 12:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

idontknowalot

New Head-Fier
I have researched a bunch of head phones and cant come to a conclusion on what to buy.

I'm looking for a closed Head phone for music / gaming / movies that doesn't require an amp so I can take it on the go. My budget is 150 bucks. If you have any suggestions on a good headphone to buy, please let me know. I already tried the highest end Razors/Turtle Beaches and didn't like the sound quality for the price.

I'll list the headphones I looked at and why I ruled them out. Sorry if I sound pessimistic.  

* HTF600-S - cheap build, complaints of it breaking within weeks after purchase, to big for on the go.
* CAL - cheap build, complaints of muddy sound.
* M50 - Loved the build quality but the bass was overwhelming and gave me a headache. The sound stage wasn't that impressive. Maybe it needed to be burned in.
* HD 380 Pro - I'm told the bass is overwhelming.
* DT 770 Pro 80ohms - requires amp, would love to have it though.
* DT 770 Pro 32ohms - cost to much money

If you have any suggestions please let me know. I'm new to headphones and don't know much.

Thanks for the help.

Jan 23, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #2 of 4
Phillips Citiscape Uptown.

Love everything about it except the cable. Can't say I've heard anything that sounds as good as these do in their price range if you can snag them at a reasonable price.

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
Phillips Citiscape Uptown.

Love everything about it except the cable. Can't say I've heard anything that sounds as good as these do in their price range if you can snag them at a reasonable price.

As much as I like it for music, it suffers at gaming because the soundstage has no real depth. It's difficult to tell front and rear apart when using CMSS-3D Headphone or Dolby Headphone, and that can get you killed.

The HTF600 fared noticeably better for gaming, but then the right-side driver just HAD to crap out on me...

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:42 AM Post #4 of 4
Quote:
I have researched a bunch of head phones and cant come to a conclusion on what to buy.
I'm looking for a closed Head phone for music / gaming / movies that doesn't require an amp so I can take it on the go. My budget is 150 bucks. If you have any suggestions on a good headphone to buy, please let me know. I already tried the highest end Razors/Turtle Beaches and didn't like the sound quality for the price.
I'll list the headphones I looked at and why I ruled them out. Sorry if I sound pessimistic.  
* HTF600-S - cheap build, complaints of it breaking within weeks after purchase, to big for on the go.
* CAL - cheap build, complaints of muddy sound.
* M50 - Loved the build quality but the bass was overwhelming and gave me a headache. The sound stage wasn't that impressive. Maybe it needed to be burned in.
* HD 380 Pro - I'm told the bass is overwhelming.
* DT 770 Pro 80ohms - requires amp, would love to have it though.
* DT 770 Pro 32ohms - cost to much money
If you have any suggestions please let me know. I'm new to headphones and don't know much.

Takstar Pro 80 (Gemini HSR-1000) closed, 60-Ohm headphones, $85.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back