Looking for $100ish headphones to upgrade from Soundmagic E10!
Nov 18, 2014 at 11:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Valpal

New Head-Fier
Hello!

Currently looking to buy my first set of full size (or on ear, if appropriate) headphones, for mainly home use but must also be transported around fairly regularly. I currently have the soundmagic E10 IEMs which I was really impressed with for the $40 I paid for them. I will still use them on the go, but want something a bit better and more comfortable for home use.

The headphones should be closed, as I may be using them around people.

My current favourite after research are the ATH-M40x, their design, portability, and removable cable all appeal to me and all the reviews I have read are very positive about the sound quality, and the price point is great for me as well as not needing an amp to drive. I should mention they will be used from a PC/Phone.

I really need them just for music listening, I listen mostly to rock in all its forms, and other similar instrumental/vocal music. As I don't need them for monitoring purposes, would I benefit from a sound signature? I hear the ATH-M40x, and other similar options, are tuned flat, is this a negative point in terms of actually listening to music on them? Or is it something I, being inexperienced, wouldn't really notice?

I would like something that is a SIGNIFICANT upgrade in terms of sound quality from the E10s, otherwise it may not be worth it for me. Sadly I don't really have anywhere to go where I can try the headphones before buying, so would like some first hand advice, as I have been unable to find a direct comparison between models.

I am open to all suggestions that fit my price point\criteria, and would love any/all advice you can give me about this (surprisingly very difficult) choice

Thank you.

EDIT: I would also consider some new IEMs if I get more bang for my buck

Nov 18, 2014 at 9:25 PM Post #3 of 5
M40x is a pretty good choice, its got less bass than E10 but highs are similar just better extension on the M40x and clarity and resolution is a dramatic difference. So i think they would be a nice upgrade. They are really good for Rock.

Other options are Creative Aurvana Live! And Takstar Pro80. Which i like better than the M40x, but the Audio Technicas are probably a better overall package, the CAL and Pro80 sound better and are more comfortable though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back