Lookin for speaker recommendations for computer usage
Oct 11, 2003 at 5:40 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kelston

100+ Head-Fier
Alright, before everyone goes off suggesting "multimedia" speakers, i'm a fan of the Klipschs. If in the end, "multimedia" speakers are the recommended, I would most likely go with the new Ultra 5.1s.

Given that, that's the budget. $400-500.

I know there are a lot of amazing budget hunters on these boards (I wish I knew enough to be one).

Requirements (these are necessary):
Center channel and subwoofer are REQUIRED
Connect to M-Audio Revolution 7.1 (Card has 1xSPDIF Coax Digital Out or 4xMini-stereo outs for 7.1)
Reasonable size - I live in a dorm and have a roommate
Must be usable for gaming

7.1 speaker setup is not an option. I see it as a gimmick, I refuse to use it, and even if there was an amazing possible setup, I don't have space.

How this would work with non-multimedia speakers I have no idea. I don't know how I would connect single speakers plus a sub to the soundcard as I haven't seen any sub with 3 mini stereo jacks. I suppose the answer would be a reciever with SPDIF In or 3 mini-jack ins.

Know that I don't have an amplifier, so if one is needed for your recommendation say so.

Of course, if I would be better off just getting the Klipsch system, say that too. This would be my first look into stereo-type systems as opposed to headphone systems.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Was thinking about it some, and I was curious if building boxes for car stereo speakers/subs would actually be viable for home use. I figure there would be immense power but I don't know how quality the sound would be given the differing environments. Any thoughts?

Oct 11, 2003 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 9
Maximum PC really likes the Logitech Z-680s, I have the Z-560s the 4.1 younger brother, and they rock, but the crossover is really high, less noticeable if the sub is placed behind a desk, and it says to keep it 2 feet away from a computer of media (zip disks, etc.) because it's not shielded.

Oct 11, 2003 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 9
If I understand what you are saying, you *don't* want multimedia speakers but you want 3.1 sound?

If this is true, then yes you will most likely need an amplifier/receiver. But it is unlikely you will be able to get a decent receiver and 3.1 non-multimedia speakers for your budget.

In any case, let me recommend to you the Acoustic Energy Aego speaker system. There are two versions, the P2 (under your budget) and the P5 (over your budget). The P2 can be upgraded to the P5 according to the manual, but I've never seen the upgrade anywhere. The Aegos have received rave reviews from Stereophile, Absolute Sound, etc.

--Chris

Oct 11, 2003 at 8:46 PM Post #4 of 9
the receiver option will only work if you use 1/8" to RCA cables and get a receiver with 6 channel inputs. Then you could pick your speaker set-up from higher quality/non-PC speakers.

If this is to much of a pain for you, the Logitech Z-680's do sound pretty good and if you look in the right places, you can find it for under $300 (check out PC Mall and other on-line sources). In my opinion the Logitechs sound better then the Klipsch which had bloated bass and shrill highs...

Oct 11, 2003 at 10:29 PM Post #5 of 9
The logitech's aren't bad. All I can say is that the bass is very loud, and the highs are limited by the extended range drivers/crossover design. By limited, the highs tend to roll off and decay a bit.

We're trying to design some computer speakers in the Home audio section of our AES chapter. We're probably going to go with the same sub(some tangband) because it's nice and cheap; but try some two way's for the high-end(maybe mtm's if we can find the money and set it up right
biggrin.gif
).

Oct 11, 2003 at 11:17 PM Post #6 of 9
The Klipsch PM5.1-Ultra's are supposedly pretty damn good, much better than the original PM5.1's. The sub is a million times better with its slot port and larger enclosure, and the satts sound cleaner with a new crossover network. Highly reccommended if you have the $$$.

Oct 12, 2003 at 2:46 AM Post #8 of 9
Hmm sounds good. I guess i'll stick with the Klipsch Ultras.

Though to respond, I was actually hoping to make a 5.1 system using non-multimedia speakers. But just taking a gander at decent speakers, i'm pretty sure my budget is way too low.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back