Longevity Advice for new IEM- Moving on from Shure.
Feb 13, 2024 at 12:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

NallyFace

New Head-Fier
Hello,

It’s that time again where my Shure SE425’s fall apart and Shure want to charge me a fortune for new replacements. I’m done with this now, it’s like some sort of rental service where the glue lasts a year or two and I send them away. It’s cost me too much over recent years. What is frustrating is that I treat them like glass, in my ears, in the case - yet here we are again and again. Each time I’m told there are cracks or case split. I can’t do more to care for them.

So, time to move on? What are my options being in the UK in terms of support if alternative IEM’s break, Shure are UK based so it does make that side easier.

Any advice on which IEM’s - around £400 mark are well built and not going to have glue or case separation issues?

I have these in mind so far but am open to suggestions:

Penon Serial
Final B3
Blessing 2/3 or Dusk 2
Iinsoul THIEAUDIO Hype 2

Music taste is a broad range, Bowie to Radiohead, Aphex Twin to Nils Frahm.

Would love some views to help me decide.

Thank you!

Feb 13, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #2 of 13
Not heard them personally but Mega5EST seem to be well received for the price bracket they're in...

Feb 13, 2024 at 1:29 PM Post #3 of 13
If you bumped your budget up just a little you would be in the range of the AuR Audio Neon Pro and Ascension.

I have the Neon Pro and have the Ascension ordered.

Might be worth reading about them here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aÜr-audio-iems.965140/

I really like the Neon Pro. I recently bought a set of Campfire Solaris 2020 which are/were a TOTL set and highly regarded and cost 2.5 times the Neon Pro. The sound signature is different but I enjoy the Neon Pro as much and possibly more overall, they are excellent value for money, beautifully built and designed and a pleasure to use.

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #5 of 13
If you bumped your budget up just a little you would be in the range of the AuR Audio Neon Pro and Ascension.

I have the Neon Pro and have the Ascension ordered.

Might be worth reading about them here:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/aÜr-audio-iems.965140/

I really like the Neon Pro. I recently bought a set of Campfire Solaris 2020 which are/were a TOTL set and highly regarded and cost 2.5 times the Neon Pro. The sound signature is different but I enjoy the Neon Pro as much and possibly more overall, they are excellent value for money, beautifully built and designed and a pleasure to use.
Looks like these would be hard to get from the UK. I’ve been stung with import duty before so could be a factor.

Look real good though so thanks for the heads up.

Feb 14, 2024 at 12:56 AM Post #6 of 13
Feb 14, 2024 at 7:02 AM Post #8 of 13
This post resonates with me. I used to be a big Shure fan, starting with the SE846 and moving up to the KSE1200. What's surprising is my earpieces of the much more expensive 1200 began breaking apart at the seams after 2-3 years of ownership (i.e. when you press on the earpieces, you can actually see movement). My older 846's survived a bit better, but you can see cracking all along the seams.

I treat all my IEM's carefully. Shure just doesn't learn to make their IEM's more robust, so they will stop getting my money.

I've had a IE 900 now for over 2 years and it still looks like day one.

Feb 14, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #9 of 13
This post resonates with me. I used to be a big Shure fan, starting with the SE846 and moving up to the KSE1200. What's surprising is my earpieces of the much more expensive 1200 began breaking apart at the seams after 2-3 years of ownership (i.e. when you press on the earpieces, you can actually see movement). My older 846's survived a bit better, but you can see cracking all along the seams.

I treat all my IEM's carefully. Shure just doesn't learn to make their IEM's more robust, so they will stop getting my money.

I've had a IE 900 now for over 2 years and it still looks like day one.
Damn those are expensive! It’s shocking really that a product costing £1200 is not solid and going to last a very long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back