Long-term Fatigue
Jul 28, 2023 at 11:20 PM Post #16 of 22
I was having this issue recently and switched out the one silver interconnect I had with a copper one. That seems to have fixed my issues. Tinker till perfect.
… beware the phenomenon: ‘if it isn’t broke, fix it until it is’ … 😳

Jul 29, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #17 of 22
Good night sleep, exercise

Exactly. These two things will greatly improve one's overall mood, health and a bunch of other things too. Add healthy food to that and positive results won't take long to kick in.

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Feb 23, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #18 of 22
I get days when everything sounds too harsh. It kicked in last night and it's still going now.

Pain in the ass. When I guess that's what is happening, I switch to my most laid-back chain, and if it bothers me then I know for sure. It's not like short-term fatigue, when I simply can't concentrate anymore, and I know I'm done for the day. It's more like I'm suddenly treble sensitive. Music loses all colour, even the mids and bass. It all sounds 'white' to me.

You guys get this? Maybe it'll be worn off by tomorrow. Usually doesn't last too long.
Hi, how are you with that? It happened to me that all of a sudden one day my headphones started to fatigue me, even the more relaxed ones that used to allow me hours of listening. I developed hyperacusis, with headphones should moderate the volume and listening time, give your ears a rest.

Feb 23, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #19 of 22
Hi, how are you with that? It happened to me that all of a sudden one day my headphones started to fatigue me, even the more relaxed ones that used to allow me hours of listening. I developed hyperacusis, with headphones should moderate the volume and listening time, give your ears a rest.
This is such an interesting topic. I'm pretty sure I've experienced hyperacusis. In a slight twist to this subject though, when I'm in a state of just moderately negative musical fatigue where I don't want to listen to music in a dedicated sort of way, then a limited amount of music is OK, but for short periods only. Of course there are times when it's clearly best to stop altogether.

Single instrument music like piano, acoustic guitar, or harp, for me, lets me enjoy sessions when I'm in a kind of burned out state but not entirely sick of sound plying my eardrums.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #20 of 22
This is such an interesting topic. I'm sure I've experienced hyperacusis, and, I don't know if there's a word for it, but, in a sort of slight twist to this subject, a kind of moderately negative neuro-musical fatigue where one does not want to listen to music in a dedicated sort of head-fi way but if it's incidental, OK, for short periods only. Of course there are times when it's clearly best to stop altogether.

When I'm not in a total burnout period, the sound of the harp, yeah, that giant stringed instrument that we know and love, can be a soothing, non-jarring antidote to multi-instrumental tangles of certain types of stuff. Google Lara Somogyi (great youtube videos, electronics enhanced harp), Lavinia Meijer, Brandi Younger, Magdalena Hoffman.

Or really any single instrument like a piano or acoustic guitar, for me, lets me enjoy sessions when I'm otherwise in a kind of burned out state but not entirely sick of sound plying my eardrums.

Personally it is digital audio that fatigues me, when I have a period of sore ears I prefer to rest them. It's been a challenge to approach digital audio in a calm and unforced way.

Feb 23, 2024 at 1:02 PM Post #21 of 22
Personally it is digital audio that fatigues me, when I have a period of sore ears I prefer to rest them. It's been a challenge to approach digital audio in a calm and unforced way.
I can totally relate and the best thing is to definitely rest them.

You might already know this but FiiO is now selling a sort of old school portable cassette player called the CP13 and it's gotten some pretty good reviews on head-fi and elsewhere. Kind of a nostalgia thing for people that want to old-school it for a change. I was considering purchasing one since I have a lot of cassettes with sentimental value and they are definitely completely in the analog world, so quite possibly less fatiguing.

Feb 23, 2024 at 7:17 PM Post #22 of 22

Well, I've become overall much healthier, and I've mastered the art of resting my ears for many hours each day. All that means I don't encounter fatigue much anymore.

That being said, I've been playing with a cheap AIYIMA H1 lately... a cheap little portable amp. Rolling different Op Amps through it... trying to find an ideal combo. Because it throws a lot of voltage/gain at you, and it isn't very refined, it pummels your ears quite quickly. So I gave up yesterday. It was fatiguing me, making me cringe and flinch. Now it's in the closet with other abandoned bits of kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back