Long lost Headroom headphone showdown!
Dec 8, 2001 at 10:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

shivohum

Keeper of the Quotes
I was hoping this would happen: thanks to the efforts of the wonderful Internet Archive, many web pages from the last four or five years are now accessible. Go see the web as it once was.

And among these pages I found a gem: a large Headroom comparison of headphones including Sennheisers, Grados, Staxes, Etys, and more. I had seen this once long ago but somewhere in the redesigns it got lost and Headroom did not put it back up. Anyway, it's great reading.

I also think the frequency response graphs in this comparison are easier to read than the ones currently on the Headroom site. Anyway, here's the url:

EDIT: Actually I realized that you can't save the web page from the Archive effectively. Somehow all the pictures point back to the Archive. So I've mirrored the page here (2nd EDIT- my first mirror ran out of bandwidth quickly so here's a much better one):

http://www.nobletree.com/HeadRoom/

But the original Archive URL is:

http://web.archive.org/web/199901170...enarrative.htm

I would advise *saving* the page on to your hard disk (from the mirror) in case anything happens to the Archive :). Plus, the Archive is rather slow, so you'll appreciate being able to refer to this on your hard disk.

Dec 8, 2001 at 11:10 PM Post #2 of 11
Thanks, shivohum. Interesting read!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 9, 2001 at 4:30 AM Post #7 of 11
Glad you're enjoying it! I realized that you can't save the web page from the Archive properly--the pictures don't work. So I edited my original post to include a mirrored copy of the webpage that WILL save properly.

Dec 9, 2001 at 3:14 PM Post #8 of 11
www.archive.org has to be one of the most beautiful experiences in the web.

Can I believe I used them for a very similar situation? I was looking for the "Attack of the Killer Tubes" article! (the one where they described how they treat walls with carton tubes).

Dec 9, 2001 at 3:34 PM Post #9 of 11
As for earbuds, on that archived headphone showdown Headroom had mentioned the old Sennheiser MX-4 and the Sony MDR-E575. Someone back at HeadWize didn't like the MDR-E575 at all due to its incredibly "boomy" bass.

Dec 9, 2001 at 3:42 PM Post #10 of 11
Cool, thanks so much, now we can see what we're not missing
wink.gif

George

Dec 9, 2001 at 3:50 PM Post #11 of 11
Fjhuerta, the Archive really is incredible!

Another note: my first mirror ran out of bandwidth quickly so I posted a much better one, if you want to be able to save the review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back