Long headphone cables or XLR extension cable
Apr 24, 2023 at 2:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mikeypas

100+ Head-Fier
Hi! I'm using a dual 3.5mm to XLR balanced cable for my Hifiman headphones (from Hart Audio Cables)
I would like to get a longer cable, maybe around 15 feet.

Would it be best to get a new dual 3.5mm to XLR balanced cable that is 15feet long, or would it be acceptable to get a female 4pin XLR to male 4pin XLR as an "extension cable" ?

Would that reduce the sound quality vs a single cable? Would the extension maintain the "balanced" aspect of the cable?

I actually am not finding a 4pin XLR male to female easily, so would be open to some suggestions.

Thanks!

Apr 24, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #2 of 3
Hi! I'm using a dual 3.5mm to XLR balanced cable for my Hifiman headphones (from Hart Audio Cables)

Would it be best to get a new dual 3.5mm to XLR balanced cable that is 15feet long, or would it be acceptable to get a female 4pin XLR to male 4pin XLR as an "extension cable" ?

Would that reduce the sound quality vs a single cable? Would the extension maintain the "balanced" aspect of the cable?

I actually am not finding a 4pin XLR male to female easily, so would be open to some suggestions.

Thanks!
Of course the extension will nib on your sound quality, but it might not be as bad. I would ask the manufacturer if you can return the cable and order a longer one with a discount.

Yes, the extension will maintain the balanced-ness of the cable. no worries. If you want good connectors, Neutrik is the way to go. Affordable, easy to find and a pleasure to work with.

Apr 25, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #3 of 3

Thanks!
Blue Jeans Cable can make you a 4-pin XLR extension cable. I expected an easily noticeable degredation of the sound, but was pleasantly surprised that the differences are subtle, at least for my rare use, watching TV. Can't comment on what the better solution is for frequent critical listening, my main headphone amplifier is next to me. The good thing about an extension cable is that it will work with any headphones (with 4-pin XLR cable) you might have in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back