LOD vs Mini to Mini
Feb 6, 2008 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 8
I'm going to take the lack of response as a big "Yes" using an LOD is always better and "No" there are no advantages to using a Mini to Mini cable on an iPod.
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 11:02 PM Post #3 of 8
On an ipod there are no real advantages of using a mini to mini instead of a LOD. The big disadvantage of using a mini to mini on a ipod instead of a LOD is, you are amplifying the already amplified sound form the headphone out and it does not sound as nice as when the signal is fed through the line out.

Feb 6, 2008 at 11:03 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by thejoneser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to take the lack of response as a big "Yes" using an LOD is always better and "No" there are no advantages to using a Mini to Mini cable on an iPod.
biggrin.gif

Joneser,

If your using a headphone amplifier its best to use a line out dock. Consider that the headphone out - the audio signal is having to travel through the headphone output stage, and volume control, ie more junk in the signal path. Where as the level line out signal via a LOD is not having to go through as much, cleaner signal = better.

ken

Campfire Audio Campfire Audio - Nicely Done. Stay updated on Campfire Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.campfireaudio.com/ Support@campfireaudio.com
Feb 11, 2008 at 7:51 AM Post #5 of 8
Hmm, I was curious if anybody knows of SQ tests done with a 0db gain RockBoxed ipod source? I use it sometimes and it sounds pretty darn nice. Not disagreeing with above posts, just was wondering if anybody has any technical info..

Edit:
Sorry for the thread hijack ..

Mar 3, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by KB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Joneser,

If your using a headphone amplifier its best to use a line out dock. Consider that the headphone out - the audio signal is having to travel through the headphone output stage, and volume control, ie more junk in the signal path. Where as the level line out signal via a LOD is not having to go through as much, cleaner signal = better.

ken

I would guess that using the mini to mini from the back of the ipod dock would be the same as using the out from the dock connector. They are both line outs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back