Livewires for the young
Jan 26, 2009 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Relinquished

100+ Head-Fier
hey im 14 this year and im having the urge by my dad to get a pair of livewires.Its really cheap here in sg and i was wondering if a kid would be able to get the livewires.Will it be like too big or will my ears be too small to do a impression?Because i have heard people say small ears cant get customs as they need space for the drivers.

Jan 26, 2009 at 7:03 AM Post #2 of 10
I would hold off of customs, because on average the ear canal doesn't really start to "solidify" until you're around 18.

Jan 26, 2009 at 2:53 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would hold off of customs, because on average the ear canal doesn't really start to "solidify" until you're around 18.

X2 and you'll probably need to get a new set in a year, because they wont fit you anymore

Jan 26, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif

X3, in fact you going to prob do alot of growing in the next 4 years as you hit 18. Im sure you will be growing out of the customs within that time. I would get a universal fit now and wait ill your 18 to get customs.

Jan 27, 2009 at 4:26 AM Post #5 of 10
Ok then.What recommendations do you have for a bassfreak?usually listen to hard rock.

Budget should be around 80 sgd(~60USD) or below.
lots of nice IEMs on amazon,but dont ship to sg

Jan 27, 2009 at 4:53 AM Post #6 of 10
sennheiser cx300 has gobs of bass that is not too bad though not really high quality. great phones for the price (if you live in a country that does not tariff too much).

im sure the usual sub 60$ suspects will pop up: zbuds, and other new companies and the mylar series. sony ex51 and ex71 have loads of bass and though they are getting older are really good considering even modern competition.

when you move up to 2x their price the sq is better but is not so much better to really warrant the 500$ or so... enjoy!

Jan 27, 2009 at 6:04 AM Post #7 of 10
Please don't mind if I thread-jack you for a sec, but I got my Sleek Customs done a couple of weeks ago and am exchanging it back and forth for a better fit. I'm 16, turning 17 in 2 months, was it a bad choice to get customs right now? Should I return them and wait a couple of years?

Jan 27, 2009 at 4:16 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by berniebennybernard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please don't mind if I thread-jack you for a sec, but I got my Sleek Customs done a couple of weeks ago and am exchanging it back and forth for a better fit. I'm 16, turning 17 in 2 months, was it a bad choice to get customs right now? Should I return them and wait a couple of years?

probably.

Then again, I stopped growing at around 17, so you could be okay.

Jan 29, 2009 at 7:46 AM Post #9 of 10
I think i remember reading somewhere that most peoples' ears slow down growing at about age 16. So you might be OK.

The ears and nose are the only parts of the body that never stop growing, so that's why anyone is going to need refits every 5 years or so.

In some cases the IEM companies can do minor adjustments (basically adding more material to the outside) for a lower cost in a few years time rather than remaking the whole lot.

Jan 29, 2009 at 7:57 AM Post #10 of 10
Bill at Sleek replied to my email and said:

"It is mainly change in weight that will change the shape of your ears and even at that there are things we can do. For example, Comply makes a thin foam strip that can be wrapped around the earpiece to tighten the fit anywhere you think it is loose."

That's quite reassuring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back