Live Trane sound quality
Feb 8, 2002 at 1:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

mackay maus

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all;

I've been listening to and enjoying the 7 CD set of John Coltrane live in Europe. I downloaded the set from emusic. (I bought the subscription for my kids and have been surprised at the variety of tunes-great for "tasting" new stuff. )

My question is whether it's worth buying the CDs for better sound. Normally I know that a CD always sounds better than a128 mp3, but given these are live recordings from the 60s, would there be enough of an increase in sound to warrent the cost?

I know I miss the book and liner notes, but I can live without them.

thanks for your imput

Matthew

Feb 8, 2002 at 8:53 PM Post #2 of 3
Well, if the recordings were better than amateur bootleg level, then the CDs should sound noticeably better.......

Feb 8, 2002 at 8:53 PM Post #3 of 3
This latest Sterophile (February) has done a thorough review on this set. To summarize, the reviewer finds the sound quality to range from serviceable at best to downright awful at it's worst, but because of where Trane was going with his playing style at that time in his life, he considers the set indispensable. Great liner notes and photos, too... Personally, I need these along with the music... it helps to personalize the listening experience for me. I'm just a geek like that!

Schiss

"It's gonna be a glorious day!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back