Live Floyd & Zeppelin albums
Mar 10, 2007 at 4:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

pinkfloyd4ever

500+ Head-Fier
ok guys, I'm lookin for a good live Floyd or Zeppelin album. Obviously I know of them all but how do you guys like em? Is there any real difference in the deluxe & standard edition of Floyd's "Is There Anybody Out There" besides the pretty case? I have the Pulse dvd so I don't really wanna spend money on the cd too (anyone know how to losslessly capture the audio off it?) What about Delicate Sound of Thunder? Roger Waters' Live in Berlin? How is Zepp's How The West Was Won? BBC Sessions? Any others???

Mar 10, 2007 at 5:16 AM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by pinkfloyd4ever /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok guys, I'm lookin for a good live Floyd or Zeppelin album. Obviously I know of them all but how do you guys like em? Is there any real difference in the deluxe & standard edition of Floyd's "Is There Anybody Out There" besides the pretty case? I have the Pulse dvd so I don't really wanna spend money on the cd too (anyone know how to losslessly capture the audio off it?) What about Delicate Sound of Thunder? Roger Waters' Live in Berlin? How is Zepp's How The West Was Won? BBC Sessions? Any others???

Most DVD Audio Rippers can rip the pcm file and convert it to lossless wav. do a quick google search to find a free one

Mar 10, 2007 at 5:18 AM Post #3 of 14
For Pink Floyd, my preference is the live side of Ummagumma and Live At Pompeii. I also have Pulse DVD, Delicate Sound of Thunder, Roger Waters Live In Berlin as well as Is There Anybody Out There - I don't really listen to them take much anymore, and personally, I don't think they differ that much in terms of performance anyway. My suggestion is get the one that has the songs you like more.

For Led Zep, it would pretty much be How The West Was Won - the first disc is excellent; disc 2 and 3 has those very long jams that I don't really listen to all that often. BBC Sessions are nice too, but it features early Zep still doing a beefed up blues sound. The Led Zep DVD is worth getting too.

Mar 10, 2007 at 5:20 AM Post #4 of 14
I can't vouch for the Pink Floyd but...

How the West Was Won is incredible. Jimmy Page did an amazing job with it. The version of Bring It On Home on there is crazy good.

BBC Sessions are... different. There's a couple repeats but they sound like different songs (Communication Breakdown #1-3 anyone?)

I highly recommend both.

The Song Remains the Same... Not too bad, but definitely buy the other 2 first.

Mar 10, 2007 at 5:53 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Led Zep DVD is worth getting too.

hah, oh yes I know, I got it for christmas
biggrin.gif
thanks for your input guys, I'm a broke college student and need to limit my spending (of money I don't have) to just 1 or 2 new albums in the next couple months
frown.gif

Mar 12, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #7 of 14
I'd get them in this order:

Ummagumma
Pulse
Is There Anybody Out There?
Delicate Sound of Thunder

Ummagumma is really the only one really different or necessary, but Pulse is a good "greatest hits live" set and has all of DSOTM. Is There Anybody Out There is a slightly inferior, extended version of The Wall (still good, though), and Delicate Sound of Thunder is an inferior predecessor of Pulse (not worth it).

Mar 12, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #8 of 14
What you really need is the video version of The Wall Live. It is on the internets. Find it. You will not regret it.

But really, your only choices for Led Zep are How The West Was Won and BBC, but those two choices are EXELENT! On How The West Was Won, when they have Black Dog and Over The Hills And Far Away back to back, that just killed me on the spot.

Mar 12, 2007 at 8:47 PM Post #9 of 14
How the West Was Won was my first Led Zeppelin album I ever heard. I was totally blown away by it. Definately in the top live albums ever released.

Mar 14, 2007 at 6:47 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewgriff /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd get them in this order:

Ummagumma
Pulse
Is There Anybody Out There?
Delicate Sound of Thunder

Ummagumma is really the only one really different or necessary, but Pulse is a good "greatest hits live" set and has all of DSOTM. Is There Anybody Out There is a slightly inferior, extended version of The Wall (still good, though), and Delicate Sound of Thunder is an inferior predecessor of Pulse (not worth it).

Agree on Ummagumma.

I actually think the Live at Pompeii DVD is really good, and the best value (probably can be found for around $10 new and even less used).

Mar 15, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #13 of 14
Although it is not exactly the same as Zeppelin, what about Black Crowes Live at the Greek? Jimmy Page toured with the Black Crowes for a couple of concerts in 1999 and they only played Zeppelin tunes. A lot of bluesy tunes too. It is a great album.

Dec 20, 2020 at 2:48 PM Post #14 of 14
Other than Umma Gumma they were all disappointing. Considering how sophisticated they were in the studio it's a suprise. Maybe they simply didn't record anything. But Why they didn't have 4 tracks or 16 tracks with their own mix???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back