Listening to Piano Recordings on Headphones (sorry for the duplicate post)
Dec 20, 2016 at 12:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Bykhoff

Head-Fier
Is it me, or do a large majority of recordings of solo piano music sound as if the channels are reversed when listening to headphones? What I mean by this is that the treble notes are more prominent in the left channel and the bass notes are more prevalent in the right channel. This is the opposite of how sound comes out of a piano from the performer's perspective. In fact, sometimes i feel that piano recordings favor the left channel, in general, but this might be some sort of imbalance in my hearing or my left-handedness.

Thoughts?

Dec 20, 2016 at 8:55 AM Post #2 of 3
Yup.  This makes sense for classical music listeners who are used to hearing more treble on the left (first violins) and more bass on the right (cellos and double-basses).

This being said, a good solo piano recording should have little or no stereo effect.  IMO things should sound close to centered, almost mono.  If you listen to a live piano recital, you will hear all the notes coming out of the same box!  It makes no sense to pan the keyboard apart as if one could drive a bus between the player's hands - sound engineers who do this deserve to be run over by said bus...

Dec 20, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #3 of 3

Yes, I find it incredibly disorienting. What I normally do is that I reverse my headphones and listen to the right ear cup on my left ear and visa versa and that way the base and treble notes are oriented the way I am used to hearing it when I play the piano.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back