List of best Headphone Amp/DAC combos under $3,000
Dec 15, 2018 at 4:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

KBerube80

100+ Head-Fier
Hello. I am looking to streamline/integrate my main system and headphone system. I plan on replacing my current CDP/DAC in my main two-channel setup with a DAC/headphone amp combo to have between my amp and laptop. It must have unbalanced RCA inputs as my integrated amp doesn't have an option for XLR's. With the help of you, I plan on putting together a list of products and going from there. Looking forward to your input.

Dec 15, 2018 at 8:24 PM Post #2 of 4
What do you listen to and what cans do you have?

Is this is a "final" setup or do you want to upgrade one component down the road? If so, a even split between the DAC and AMP makes sense. If not, getting a relatively cheap headphone will leave space for a future upgrade.

As a side note, Boston and NYC both have a couple good places to try out amps and dacs and you might get a more focused selected of equipment in a real store.

Dec 15, 2018 at 10:40 PM Post #3 of 4
What do you listen to and what cans do you have?

Is this is a "final" setup or do you want to upgrade one component down the road? If so, a even split between the DAC and AMP makes sense. If not, getting a relatively cheap headphone will leave space for a future upgrade.

As a side note, Boston and NYC both have a couple good places to try out amps and dacs and you might get a more focused selected of equipment in a real store.

Thanks for the reply. My main headphones are Fostex TH900 so the DAC would me the most important aspect. I mostly appreciate a simple design which is close to set it and forget it, so to speak, as I would drive myself crazy messing with all the different options that a lot of modern DAC's have. I would wish this to be a "final setup" but, within this hobby, you know how that goes. I am also open to separates if need be.

I live right outside of Providence so a trip to Boston isn't much of a chore for me.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2018 at 11:05 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the reply. My main headphones are Fostex TH900 so the DAC would me the most important aspect. I mostly appreciate a simple design which is close to set it and forget it, so to speak, as I would drive myself crazy messing with all the different options that a lot of modern DAC's have. I would wish this to be a "final setup" but, within this hobby, you know how that goes. I am also open to separates if need be.

I live right outside of Providence so a trip to Boston isn't much of a chore for me.

Check out Goodwin's high end the next time you're in Boston. Their service is excellent and they have some nice headphone oriented DACs and amps.

I don't have extensive experience with the th900 but I liked them on the gsx mk2. Used ones fall to under $2,000, so you could feasibly pair it with a schiit Yggy although that would be stretching the max budget a little.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back