Lisa III mod DIY'ers?
Jun 21, 2008 at 3:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

chzplz

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all-

I bought a Lisa III amp from a fellow head fi'er. It appears that he took out two resistors to lower the gain. I need the resistors put back. I'm waiting for Triad's tech person to get me info about the parts needed and where they go. My question is whether anyone knows of a DIY'er who they could recommend as being able to do this without wrecking my beloved new toy (which, by the way, sounds AWESOME even through my Ipod's hp jack, which is how I have to run it until the gain issue is resolved).

THANKS

Ira

Jun 22, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #2 of 9
Ira the resistors that were removed were placed there as an afterthought gain raiser, and are not part of the design of the stock amp, what you have is a percet stock LISAIII the way it was designed and the way iti s supposed to be, as Brad already told you. They were placed there by Phil, for Sergio, in order he could use it with the HD580, which is not a portable headphone at all. He used to have like gain 20, on the amp
eek.gif
...But for all portable headphones that are usually low Z, and high sensitivity, the gain you have now will be more than enough.

As a comparison, I used to drive my Edition 9's (and even the same HD580 Sergio had) to a decent level with it, trust me that you do not need to increase the gain on that amp, just crank it up and period....and if you are not gettign enough juice even while the volume is all the way up, check the source output you are using, as you may have a problem there, maybe it is extremelly quiet...If that is the case you will have the same problem with any amp...

I could place them back for you of course, not problems, but just if you absolutely really need it. Also, keep in mind that if your input is very low, as it seems to be your case, and you raise the gain too much, to compensate, you are raising also the noise floor as well, and you take the chances of getting noise later on.
As a side note, my PCDP has not a very hot line out neither, IMO in the lower side, it is a Pany SL-570, and it was perfect with that gain to drive any headphone I hooked up there…

All I want if you decided to go for it, is that you cover all shipping costs, and I will gladly do it for you…

Jun 23, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ira the resistors that were removed were placed there as an afterthought gain raiser, and are not part of the design of the stock amp, what you have is a percet stock LISAIII the way it was designed and the way iti s supposed to be, as Brad already told you. They were placed there by Phil, for Sergio, in order he could use it with the HD580, which is not a portable headphone at all. He used to have like gain 20, on the amp
eek.gif
...But for all portable headphones that are usually low Z, and high sensitivity, the gain you have now will be more than enough.

As a comparison, I used to drive my Edition 9's (and even the same HD580 Sergio had) to a decent level with it, trust me that you do not need to increase the gain on that amp, just crank it up and period....and if you are not gettign enough juice even while the volume is all the way up, check the source output you are using, as you may have a problem there, maybe it is extremelly quiet...If that is the case you will have the same problem with any amp...

I could place them back for you of course, not problems, but just if you absolutely really need it. Also, keep in mind that if your input is very low, as it seems to be your case, and you raise the gain too much, to compensate, you are raising also the noise floor as well, and you take the chances of getting noise later on.
As a side note, my PCDP has not a very hot line out neither, IMO in the lower side, it is a Pany SL-570, and it was perfect with that gain to drive any headphone I hooked up there…

All I want if you decided to go for it, is that you cover all shipping costs, and I will gladly do it for you…

Thanks Sovkiller. I wanted to post my emailed response to you so the world knows that I didn't mean to criticize you (or Phil or Triad or anyone), I'm just looking to get my Ipod classic to work with through the line out with the Lisa, so, here's what I emailed you just so the record's clear:

Sovkiller- Thanks for the email. I have absolutely no concern that you misrepresented anything in the deal or did anything wrong at all. You clearly stated low gain, and I understand that the amp is in its stock state. I didn't mean to imply that you had done anything improper by removing the resistors. Feel free to copy this email to anyone you like if needed to assure them that I am not upset or disappointed in the least with you or our deal.

The issue is only that for whatever reason, the line out of my Ipod classic isn't driving the Lisa. I know nothing about amps, resistors, whatever. I'm only looking for the Lisa to work with the line out. It sounds awesome through the HP out on the Ipod, but I know the line out signal is much cleaner and better, so I expect it will sound all the more better once I get the issue resolved.

I don't need you to "fix" the Lisa for me-- I'm just looking for someone who has the know-how to do it. I am happy to pay whoever may do it whatever it may cost for parts and their time. If you know of anyone, please pass their info on, or let them know I'm looking for someone to do some mods for me.

As to the noise issue, this is where I'll defer to you & Phil. If either of you know of another way for the Ipod line out to be used with the Lisa other than upping the gain, let me know.

Anyway, again, I'm sorry if it appeared that I was criticizing you in any way. I left you positive feedback on Head Fi which I continue to stand by. Thanks very much for your response.

Ira

Jun 23, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #4 of 9
Ira if there is no sound at all, there is a problem in the connection, you are not using it properly, or it has some problems, or maybe is disconnected by sofware, I'm not familair with the iPod features, maybe someone else could help you out, but the gain for sure will not fix that 0 sound...

Jun 23, 2008 at 6:53 AM Post #5 of 9
chzplz, try it with another source. It sounds like something is not quite right with your iPod line out. My standard gain Lisa III works fine with my 5th gen iPods line out and Sony PCDP line out.

Jun 23, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #6 of 9
Chzplz, I have a normal iPod 5th gen, iPhone and Nano. All three work perfectly with my Lisa III with their line out docks. The Lisa is able to drive all my headphones to the point of distortion. These headphones include, but are not limited to, K701s, DT770 80s and MDR-7501s.

Jun 24, 2008 at 1:24 AM Post #7 of 9
This is all weird... the ipod/lisa work fine when driven from the hp out w/a mini to rca cable. The ipod/lod that I'm using (Turbo's, which is excellent) works great with my ipod/Little Dot Mk IV SE. So, if the LOD works with the LD, and the Lisa works with the HP out from the ipod, why wouldn't the Lisa work with the Ipod through LOD? Go figure.

Anyway, thanks all for your input, Brad at Triad has been great, as has been Sergio who does some work with Phil & Brad at triadaudio.net, as has been Sovkiller. I'll get this figured out.

I have a Sony D-25s that needs a power supply, which I just tracked down. I'll try that when I get it. I'll also try some other sources and see what's up.

Thanks again all

Ira

Jun 26, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #8 of 9
PROBLEM SOLVED. Turns out there's nothing wrong with the Lisa III at all. Lovin' it all the way now that I got the kinks worked out!!! I really need to thank Sergio @ triadaudio.net and Brad @ Triad Audio and Sovkiller. Everyone was so helpful, and I'm so impressed with how concerned Brad was that there might have been a problem with his amp (which I can say now there DEFINITELY was not -- if anyone read my posts and thought twice about the Lisa III, think again -- it's all it's cracked up to be and more!).

Anyways, sorry for the kerfuffle, and thanks all again.

Ira

Jun 27, 2008 at 7:11 AM Post #9 of 9
I am glad that you have it figured out. Lisa III is so revealing that
many hear a crappy source or line out and blame Lisa III without ruling out the rest of the chain. This is part of Big Poppa's review

This is a great piece of audio equipment but let me tell you what it won't do. It will not fix your crappy sounding Ipod recorded with your whole collection at 128 KB. The Lisa III is just an extension on the music and not a cure all. If you have some CD's that have a less than perfect recording the L3 will let you know. Chamillionaire was one of my favorites until I found out how badly the recording was. Sirens Sister was one of my favorites to test drive with until I noticed the same thing. The Lisa III is very truthful and there will be some who will not like the truth. It was a rude awakening on how bad I let my Ipods go not paying enough attention how my music was downloaded.

What the Lisa III will do is with a good recording and a decent source she will reward you in spades. It does not care what headphones you use or what kind of music you listen to.If it is good then it is good. Find your favorite CD and put it test with the L3. She will not disappoint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back