[Linux] MPD vs Amarok
Sep 13, 2008 at 11:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

progo

Headphoneus Supremus
Howdy ho, how are you doing?
darthsmile.gif

I've been a happy Amarok user, forwarding the music without alterings to ALSA and from there my sound card, the ESI Juli@. So, I have thought all these months Amarok is very transparent (in this case, bit-perfect).

Then I happened to try this lovely piece of software called MPD (Music Player Daemon) that basically is a server software that plays music. It's controlled via different clients. In normal use, if you wanted to listen to an album, you would start a client, do a search for album, add it to playlist and press 'play'. After that you can close the client from consuming memory or other assets and let the music flow freely. So, I installed MPD and checked the configuration: it's same as Amarok's one so the software connects to ALSA in the same way in both apps. Should result in same sound, since ALSA is bit perfect, no?

But no. Both played in unaltered volume (100%), I get greater soundstage via MPD than in Amarok. The difference is not day and night, but after I listen to an album in Amarok and then switch to MPD I clearly hear the same drums in different position. To overrule the placebo that some of you so much seem to hate, I did some ABX and could tell which app played the song. MPD's presentation separates more, it's laid back thus making better experience via expanded soundstage.

Now, which one is closer to real deal? I must presume some of you have experienced with MPD and Amarok and could know something regarding this. I don't have a DTS capable receiver that could be evidently the best way to see if one of these actually does bit perfect playback.

MPD could be resampling the music that perhaps shows as muffled midrange which subsequently could attribute to an impression that the players were farther from me.

The meaningful bits of mpd.conf:
Code:

Code:
[left]##--snip-- audio_output { type "alsa" name "julia" options "hw:1,0" } ##--snip-- mixer_type "alsa" mixer_device "default" mixer_control "default"[/left]

So, any thoughts? I considered buying a digital interconnect to make a loop-back recording and see if the graphs differ, but found out these drivers for ALSA are so buggy that only Audacity can record sound. And Audacity doesn't work too well.
frown.gif

Btw it'd be so perfect to have a little device (or a large for that matter, as long as it's cheap!
smily_headphones1.gif
) that accepted coaxial and optical digital inputs, it'd be shipped with a test CD with some music or something and you could see if your computer passes with bitperfectness. (You'd plug in the device to your soundcard and put the CD (or waves ripped from it) playing. If your player would be bit-perfect, the device blinked a red light or similar).

Sep 13, 2008 at 2:52 PM Post #2 of 12
That's wild... There must be something weird going on -- I never would have thought you'd get different-sounding results with those players.

I was good friends with Shank on IRC and such before, during, and after he wrote MPD. (I had actually written something similar in perl that wasn't nearly as elegant as mpd when we met.) I might suggest you ask shank in #mpd on irc.freenode.net if he has any ideas pertaining to this discrepancy.

(Aside: These days, though, I just use a Squeezebox -- what a great device.)

Sep 13, 2008 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by thread /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's wild... There must be something weird going on -- I never would have thought you'd get different-sounding results with those players.

I was good friends with Shank on IRC and such before, during, and after he wrote MPD. (I had actually written something similar in perl that wasn't nearly as elegant as mpd when we met.) I might suggest you ask shank in #mpd on irc.freenode.net if he has any ideas pertaining to this discrepancy.

(Aside: These days, though, I just use a Squeezebox -- what a great device.)

Thanks for suggestion, but I already hang there. When I asked generally in the channel, no one had idea. Maybe I direct my question to shank.
smily_headphones1.gif

Squeezebox would be cool, although not that ideal if I have understood correctly. Must be slow to wade through hundreds of tracks and albums with a remote and small display!

Quote:

Originally Posted by fjf
I've read somewhere to use OSS as playback engine and it seems (placebo?) a bit clearer than alsa. Maybe you can give it a try.

Do you mean that ALSA is not bit perfect after all? That's hard to believe since many have claimed it is. I don't know about trying since I've tried different setups and afterwards everything is messed and nothing works like it used to work.
frown.gif
Let's just say I'm happy when I got rid of OSS back then when ALSA came to overrule it.

Sep 14, 2008 at 4:09 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you mean that ALSA is not bit perfect after all? That's hard to believe since many have claimed it is. I don't know about trying since I've tried different setups and afterwards everything is messed and nothing works like it used to work.
frown.gif
Let's just say I'm happy when I got rid of OSS back then when ALSA came to overrule it.

I have no idea. But it must be something when Ubuntu got rid of alsa and now runs pulseaudio. The differences however are beyond me
wink.gif

Sep 14, 2008 at 4:20 PM Post #6 of 12
PulseAudio uses ALSA: when properly configured, a player connects to PulseAudio and PA then connects to ALSA, because it has good existing driver base already. Frankly if the matter is in ALSA, it doesn't fix up with PulseAudio.
What I think is that there can't be problems with ALSA being bit-perfect, instead the way the players communicate with ALSA differ, even if I have configured them with similar configs. I didn't reach anyone from #mpd who could have known about things. Maybe I have to dive into the source!

Sep 14, 2008 at 8:18 PM Post #7 of 12
Using something like this in mpd.conf should make sure that the output is bit-perfect:

Code:

Code:
[left]audio_output { type "alsa" name "My ALSA Device" # device "hw:0,1" # optional format "44100:16:2" # optional }[/left]

I don't believe that two different players, configured to use alsa in the same way, will sound any different.

Sep 14, 2008 at 9:43 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by progo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I think is that there can't be problems with ALSA being bit-perfect, instead the way the players communicate with ALSA differ, even if I have configured them with similar configs. I didn't reach anyone from #mpd who could have known about things. Maybe I have to dive into the source!

The only thing I can think of is Amarok might be going through a different device -- aka "pcm:default" instead of "hw:1,0," and that the other device might be resampling or otherwise mangling the sound.

Have you tried other players (even command-line players like madplay or mpg123) to see if they match Amarok or mpd more closely?

Sep 15, 2008 at 7:15 AM Post #9 of 12
Amarok's settings -- I can't find them in a textual form -- are for engine section:

Sound system: xine Engine
Output plugin: alsa
ALSA Device Configuration:
--- Mono: default
--- Stereo: default
Speaker arrangement: Stereo 2.0

Changed the defaults to plughw:1,0. No difference so it must be same.

Sep 16, 2008 at 4:07 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by trains are bad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't mean to hijack, but is mpd gapless? Cause amarok is one of the only linux players I've found that is. And it still dosen't have crossfeed. Lame.

Yes, it's gapless.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back