Line out vs coaxial out for Fiio X3
Dec 28, 2014 at 10:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

oddidude

Head-Fier
Quite a newbie question here but I'm thinking of getting a Fiio X3 soon and pairing it with my Fiio E12 that I already own. I wasn't sure whether I would connect the E12 to the line out or the coaxial out on the X3 whilst still using the DAC on the X3. I would also like to know what the actual differences are between the two outputs for future reference.

Thanks in advance!
biggrin.gif

Dec 28, 2014 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 13
Hello,

I can't really help you about the coaxial question but if you plug the E12 into the line-out of the Fiio X3, everything will be fine and you will be using the DAC of the X3.
You won't be able to change the volume with the X3, you'll have to use the E12 for that. If you have low impedance headphone/earphones, don't turn the volume knob to an high value unless you want to be deaf :p.

I suggest you to check the Fiio X3 thread on head-fi to see if you have the latest firmware when your unit arrive.

Cheers.

Dec 28, 2014 at 3:19 PM Post #3 of 13
User Guide page 5

Coaxial Out:
Outputs coaxial digital signal to devices with coaxial digital input.
Note: Coaxial output has the highest output priority and would shut down
headphone output and line output when coaxial cable is plugged in.

Dec 28, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #4 of 13
  Quite a newbie question here but I'm thinking of getting a Fiio X3 soon and pairing it with my FiiO E12 that I already own. I wasn't sure whether I would connect the E12 to the line out or the coaxial out on the X3 whilst still using the DAC on the X3. I would also like to know what the actual differences are between the two outputs for future reference.

Thanks in advance!
biggrin.gif

As the FiiO E12 does not have a digital audio input, you could not connect anything to it using coaxial (or optical).
The FiiO E12's USB connection is for power only, not for any digital audio signal.

So the only real way for connecting the X3 to the E12 is using a 3.5mm (stereo) male to 3.5mm male (stereo) analog audio cable.
Set the X3 for line-output (not headphone output), line-output is a better signal for the E12.

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:36 PM Post #6 of 13
Have a question. Im using sony mdr x 10 headphones 24 ohms and 3000mw of power. could i plug the headphones in the line out and not worry about the headphones getting damaged? Also it's the new x3ii player.

Sep 15, 2016 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 13
Chances are plugging the MDR-X10 headphones into the FiiO X3 Gen 2 player's line-output jack or any other line-output jack, would not damage the X10 headphones.

Sep 17, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #8 of 13
Got another question. I have the A3 amp from Fiio is it better to connect it to the line out or the headphone out? I know that the line out sounds way better than the headphone out without being able the lower the volume. Got rid of the Sony MDR X10 headphones and got the Sony MDR 7506. The X 10 were hurting the sides of my ears but anyway will the MDR 7506 benefit more from the line out than the headphone out going thru the amp? Thanks for your help from the last reply.

Sep 17, 2016 at 3:58 AM Post #9 of 13
  Got another question. I have the A3 amp from Fiio is it better to connect it to the line out or the headphone out? I know that the line out sounds way better than the headphone out without being able the lower the volume. Got rid of the Sony MDR X10 headphones and got the Sony MDR 7506. The X 10 were hurting the sides of my ears but anyway will the MDR 7506 benefit more from the line out than the headphone out going thru the amp? Thanks for your help from the last reply.

Your would want to daisy chain the FiiO A3, off the X3's Line-output.
A line-output is usually better for feeding an analog audio signal, to the line-input, of an amplifier, over an amplified headphone jack.

Sep 21, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #11 of 13
Hi there. If I were to connect my x3ii to an integrated amplifier (Denon PMA-720AE), which connection should I use, the line out (3.5mm male to a pair of RCA connectors) or the provided coaxial cable? Which will sound better? I just got my x3ii and doesn't have the right cables as of the moment.

Sep 21, 2016 at 6:42 PM Post #12 of 13
  Hi there. If I were to connect my x3ii to an integrated amplifier (Denon PMA-720AE), which connection should I use, the line out (3.5mm male to a pair of RCA connectors) or the provided coaxial cable? Which will sound better? I just got my x3ii and doesn't have the right cables as of the moment.

The S/PDIF coaxial output on the FiiO X3 gen II is a digital audio signal
And the Denon PMA-720AE Intergated amplifier only has analog audio inputs.
So the FiiO's coaxial output will not work directly with the Denon 720AE.

You could buy an external DAC, that has a S/PDIF coaxial input, to hookup between the FiiO and the Denon,
like a $400 Schiit Bifrost DAC, but i'm assuming your not currently planning on buying a separate DAC.

So just use the FiiO's line-output jack, to connect to the RCA inputs on the Denon.

Nov 23, 2016 at 11:26 AM Post #13 of 13
I use the 2nd Gen FiiO X3 with a Chord Hugo and utilise the Coaxial output. Sounds excellent and so far pushed-out 192/24 to the Hugo without any problems. I also replaced the stock 4-pole to RCA connector with a bespoke cable from Custom Cans in the UK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back