Life expectancy of amplifiers and dacs
Jan 24, 2023 at 9:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Wait033

New Head-Fier
My question is mainly addressed towards audiophiles with years of experience on the hobby. As the title suggests I'm curious concerning average life span of audio electronics, attributed mainly to examples of speaker amps from the 90s or earlier

Jan 24, 2023 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 9
It depends. YMMV. Buyer beware. Buy from reputable dealer.

Jan 29, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #6 of 9
If you buy quality, then decades.

Jan 29, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #7 of 9
Do you turn off your equipment while you're not using it or does it not make any substantial difference? If I'm not mistaken class-A amps keep outputting power even if you're not playing any audio, so at least in this case turning it off is for the best.

Jan 29, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #8 of 9
On 24-7 unless tube.

Jan 29, 2023 at 6:13 PM Post #9 of 9
Caps have a shelf life used or not even knew sitting in boxes
Class Amps cook not just by usage but also by heat. many never change caps and then say it’s not as good as todays stuff. issue is rebuild it completely all caps then adjust then make claims
Krell is a good example
im not saying all Have to do this but given all the money ur saving it’s a good idea too
If one cap shorts the amp can cook speakers after it blows an output transistor and most older amps you can’t get replacement outputs much less habe them match in specs
I have a few old flagships sound great even before I rebuilt them. Some do fair better on rebuilding more then others.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back