Let's try this again....need my first nice pair of headphones
Oct 22, 2014 at 8:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

cspanky

New Head-Fier
Requirements

-Under $500 retail
-Must be sold by bestbuy (not marketplace) as I can get a discount on them
-Must be closed (I know open are better sounding, but this is for plane rides so don't want to disturb people)
-Great sound, I listen to literally all types of music

-Comfortable. Long plane rides, driving trips, would love something I can fall asleep and not even realize they are there
-Quality, not just in sound, but how it's made, don't need something breaking quickly

I don't really need an amp because again this is something that will just get plugged into my phone and listening to music. I'd love to get some for under $300 but will spend the extra if the quality is there. For example, I know a lot of people recommended P7's by Bower & Wilkins, $399 retail, I can snag for $251.

Thanks in advance!

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:07 PM Post #2 of 12
  Requirements

-Under $500 retail
-Must be sold by bestbuy (not marketplace) as I can get a discount on them
-Must be closed (I know open are better sounding, but this is for plane rides so don't want to disturb people)
-Great sound, I listen to literally all types of music

-Comfortable. Long plane rides, driving trips, would love something I can fall asleep and not even realize they are there
-Quality, not just in sound, but how it's made, don't need something breaking quickly

I don't really need an amp because again this is something that will just get plugged into my phone and listening to music. I'd love to get some for under $300 but will spend the extra if the quality is there. For example, I know a lot of people recommended P7's by Bower & Wilkins, $399 retail, I can snag for $251.

Thanks in advance!

My honest, and absouletly HONEST recommendation is get a hadphone from the Head Fi For Sale Boards, you will automatically get a Discount, since NO ONE CAN SELL FOR PROFIT. In addition we here at head fi take good care of our gear so you can buy without much worry. 

As for your Phone, some phones sound good some don't though in my 100% honest opinion, if you have a $500 budget don't limit your self to Best Buy, if you buy here on Head Fi you can get your seller to use USPS or Fed Ex both of which will hold a product at a shipping center and allow you to get it with Valid ID. So you can buy a good headphone, at a good price and get it delivered to a Safe Location

As for recommendations... there are a bunch honestly. Though I would start by getting a Fiio E11 Amp [you feed it LINE out of ur phone, and you can use the rubberband they sell to keep it all one nice little stack] and get your self a Beyerdynamix DT 770 250 ohm or a Beyerdyanmic T70, the E11 has a bass boost if you want it, if ur not using an iPhone with the old 30pin connector, you can use just the headphone out into the amp

But BeyerDyanmic headphones are built ROCK solid, and are super comfy I think. You could also Try a Mr Speakers Mad Dog, it's comfortable. Has a natrual Sound and ISOLATES REALLY GOOD, but it sounds best with an amp 

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:20 PM Post #3 of 12
Thank you, I will check all of that out! The only reason I said best buy is working there, on certain products (cables, headphones, etc) I can get decent sized chunks off the price so it would be nice, but I'm not against buying from here :)

Oct 22, 2014 at 10:45 PM Post #4 of 12
  Thank you, I will check all of that out! The only reason I said best buy is working there, on certain products (cables, headphones, etc) I can get decent sized chunks off the price so it would be nice, but I'm not against buying from here :)

Oh dude, I work at Office Depot and I feel you on the discount! Though Both our retails stores sell some sub par stuff at crazy bloated prices [actually I sold a young lady on a pair of Sennhieser IEMS the other day, they were on clearance <3] 

but yea here's a link to our Boards. As u can see from my feed back I shop there a lot 

I actually linked you to a Sound Magic HP 100 for about $150, which btw is a good headphone though that is the board those are what the adds look like and it's how we sell stuff <3 

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #5 of 12
I recommend using an IEM(in the ear isolating headphone) as the ones that isolate best isolate much more than closed headphones. Closed headphones that isolate well also tend to make my ears overheat with extended use. There is also the issue of the size of a headphone. An IEM is nice, as I can put it in my shirt pocket together with a small player when I am not listening. 

Oct 22, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #6 of 12
Will take that into account. Thanks!

Already have some IEM just want a nice new pair of over year, reading forums and reviews I went from for sure the p7's to maybe momentums, to maybe akg, it's just so many different ways to go (of course everyone has their opinions)

Oct 23, 2014 at 12:07 AM Post #7 of 12
Definitely ordering an e11, though need some more insight on headsets. Ruled out the H6's just based off reviews. Going to try to go listen to the p7's in an apple store and look around in the classifieds as well

Oct 23, 2014 at 6:44 PM Post #8 of 12
I couldn't think of why I wanted to order from work other than the discount, then remembered I have a $200 gift card from buying my new phone. So I am going to stick with that requirement.

Comfortable
Price
Great sound

(I'm coming from basically no headphones, just in ear samsung ones) so I'm sure most will sound great.

Would a p7 with an e11 sound good out of a note 4 phone?

with discount and gift card and points, the p7's would be free, I'd basically only be paying for the e11

Oct 23, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #9 of 12
  Oh dude, I work at Office Depot and I feel you on the discount! Though Both our retails stores sell some sub par stuff at crazy bloated prices [actually I sold a young lady on a pair of Sennhieser IEMS the other day, they were on clearance <3] 

but yea here's a link to our Boards. As u can see from my feed back I shop there a lot 

I actually linked you to a Sound Magic HP 100 for about $150, which btw is a good headphone though that is the board those are what the adds look like and it's how we sell stuff <3 

While I'm sure that you take care of your equipment, I'm not sure if vouching for the entirety of the community is a good idea. This is an open forum after all. Anyone can hop on and post a listing. Besides, not matter how safe it is to purchase from enthusiasts, it's never as safe as purchasing a brand new item from a major retailer.

Oct 23, 2014 at 7:04 PM Post #10 of 12
  While I'm sure that you take care of your equipment, I'm not sure if vouching for the entirety of the community is a good idea. This is an open forum after all. Anyone can hop on and post a listing. Besides, not matter how safe it is to purchase from enthusiasts, it's never as safe as purchasing a brand new item from a major retailer.

Well yea ofc, but there's some basic guidelines to buying online which should go without having to be spelled out, though I suppose the age of the buyer makes a differance. As our younger buyers might be more apt to not making safe purchases 

Oct 23, 2014 at 8:09 PM Post #11 of 12

Suggesting that someone check out the for sale forum is not the same as vouching for the entire community. Nobody has claimed that every single for sale listing here should be trusted. Why are you commenting at all, given that you haven't bought anything here? I've had nothing but positive experiences, but I do use basic common sense and only buy from members with positive feedback who show pictures, speak English with a basic level of grammatical care, etc. 

Oct 23, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #12 of 12

Suggesting that someone check out the for sale forum is not the same as vouching for the entire community. Nobody has claimed that every single for sale listing here should be trusted. Why are you commenting at all, given that you haven't bought anything here? I've had nothing but positive experiences, but I do use basic common sense and only buy from members with positive feedback who show pictures, speak English with a basic level of grammatical care, etc. 

Yeaper, I've also had 34+ positive experinces 

though if your lacking in common sense I suppose there is the off chance you might get burned... that and not having paitence 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back