learning diy
Nov 10, 2002 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sacd lover

Headphoneus Supremus
Where can you go to learn the skills you need to do diy projects? Years ago I built a tubehead preamp kit.The biggest problem I had was getting it in a case without shorting out. It ended up in a shoebox. Who could teach you this as well as better soldering skills and understanding schematics?

Nov 11, 2002 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 5
time is the best teacher. It'll come to you!

I started out 3 years ago trying to learn how to build a tube guitar amp. I got scared of the voltages involved so I dabbled in effects building - 9V powered things. Then I thought I'd build a mini-battery powered amp to play through headphones.

I found Headwize and read the projects over and over. I built a Cmoy amp on the Hansen board. The effects building helped me learn schematics. Having the Hansen schem and the board helped me learn layout.

I know next to squat about theory. Never read a book on electronics. I just build projects from schematics that I find online or otherwise.

Still haven't built the amp...

ok,
erix

Nov 11, 2002 at 12:32 AM Post #3 of 5
Are the Hansen boards still available, and do they make the project easier?

Nov 11, 2002 at 12:33 AM Post #4 of 5
I don't know if it is any help... but some of us electronic n00bs have started a website to help out those who are even more n00b than us. (Blind helping the blind I know.) Anyway the address is: http://ik3a.com/electronics/ .

Right now there isn't much on it, but we do have a fairly good list of links... some of which might help you out.

Nov 11, 2002 at 12:35 AM Post #5 of 5
BTW, looked your web page, the headphone amp looks awesome in the enclosure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back