latest intel pentium m chipsets (855gm) bit-perfect?
Nov 5, 2004 at 10:19 PM Post #2 of 6
So I got the laptop even though no one could confirm or deny its bit-perfectness. So far I havent been able to get spdif working, but it looks like it will be resampled to 48000 anyway (as I pretty much expected).

I and others have asked this before, but new products are always coming out and maybe existing ones that hadn't been tested have now.....

Does anyone know of a bit-perfect-at-44.1k usb sound card, preferably with coax out (toslink would be a start at least)?!?

Nov 23, 2004 at 7:33 PM Post #4 of 6
Its a Uniwill 223II0.

I'm loving it as far as everything besides sound is concerned. I've got my N-Gage controlling xmms over bluetooth so I can leave the notebook in my bag on the bus and still change tunes, etc. Unfortunately the headphone out sucks (at least compared to my nice gear). The only piece I'm missing from the ULTIMATE semi-portable headphone system is a damn bit-perfect (@44.1K) usb (or cardbus) sound card with coax-out.

Nov 24, 2004 at 1:42 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by momerath
Its a Uniwill 223II0.

I'm loving it as far as everything besides sound is concerned. I've got my N-Gage controlling xmms over bluetooth so I can leave the notebook in my bag on the bus and still change tunes, etc. Unfortunately the headphone out sucks (at least compared to my nice gear). The only piece I'm missing from the ULTIMATE semi-portable headphone system is a damn bit-perfect (@44.1K) usb (or cardbus) sound card with coax-out.

If you are willing to have a pile of stuff (and willingness to use a usb soundcard + a dac + an amp qualifies you as willing to have a pile of crap) why not use a Monarchy DIP to both reduce jitter, and to convert from toslink to coax?

Nov 24, 2004 at 5:00 PM Post #6 of 6
I have a Monarchy DIP. The problem is that its not portable.

It weighs more than my dAck! and amp combined, and plugs straight into the wall (a wallwart I could replace with a battery pack if I had to).

I'm working on building the most badass system that I can stand to lug to work and back, and I want to be able to listen to it on my 50 minute bus ride.

My plan right now is to add coax to an m-audio transit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back