Lately headphone reviews are pissing me off
Sep 12, 2021 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

SSandDigital

100+ Head-Fier
Headphones come in variety of shapes and for various purposes and used for different reasons.

Was on a mission to find sub $700 closed headphones. I started looking at Elegia. I see moron reviewers on google searches and youtube all making comparisons to the Clear, HD650 and other open back headphones and to studio monitoring headphones like Newman NDH20.

Most of the numbnuts were saying buy the Clear over the Elegia.. Yeah if I was interested in Elegia I wouldn't be considering Clear for CLEAR reasons... I just don't get it. I'm baffled and confused by how dumb these reviews are.

What is going on with moron reviewers. If someone wants a review of a closed headphone, why don't they use common sense and judge the headphones for the what it is. A CLOSED headphone and address the reasons why someone would want a closed headphone and compare it to other closed headphones.

Almost every review I read or saw of the Elegia I was left with feeling, damn I wasted lot of time and that was a useless review.

I been out of reading headphone reviews for a while, so took a gander of a few other reviews. And I saw the same trend, comparing open back headphones to closed studio monitoring headphones.

What is going on with moron reviewers?

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2021 at 10:49 AM Post #2 of 15
Sep 12, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #3 of 15
Maybe that closed/open back headphone is their first and only closed/open back headphone, and they simply have nothing else to compare it to.

There are closed back headphones that claim to sound open, those should absolutely be compared to open backed headphones.

In most situations where you could use open backed headphones you can also use closed back ones, without having a need for the particular advantages of either design.

In situations where you would want open backed headphones for reasons other than sound quality, say, awareness of your surroundings, some technically closed back headphones will still work because they isolate poorly. Some open backed headphones like the Ether Flow are so damped that they do provide some isolation that may be sufficient for someone's needs.

And finally, certain headphones are very popular and can still serve as a reference point. All headphones produce sound, so many of their properties can be compared despite the differences in the design.

I understand that if you want a headphone that isolates very well, you would want that covered in a review about it, but the reviewer may only have that headphone because it was supposed to sound better than an open one they like (lots of people prefer the Vérité Closed over the original open Vérité, for example).

It's definitely not always a case of reviewers being morons, even though they don't make it as efficient for you to decide what headphone you want as you prefer. Amateur reviewers tend to focus on aspects of a piece of gear that they care about. If you want more complete reviews, you should probably look at reviews by professionals only. Pick some with an approach that you appreciate and stick with them.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #4 of 15
Maybe that closed/open back headphone is their first and only closed/open back headphone, and they simply have nothing else to compare it to.

There are closed back headphones that claim to sound open, those should absolutely be compared to open backed headphones.

In most situations where you could use open backed headphones you can also use closed back ones, without having a need for the particular advantages of either design.

In situations where you would want open backed headphones for reasons other than sound quality, say, awareness of your surroundings, some technically closed back headphones will still work because they isolate poorly. Some open backed headphones like the Ether Flow are so damped that they do provide some isolation that may be sufficient for someone's needs.

And finally, certain headphones are very popular and can still serve as a reference point. All headphones produce sound, so many of their properties can be compared despite the differences in the design.

I understand that if you want a headphone that isolates very well, you would want that covered in a review about it, but the reviewer may only have that headphone because it was supposed to sound better than an open one they like (lots of people prefer the Vérité Closed over the original open Vérité, for example).

It's definitely not always a case of reviewers being morons, even though they don't make it as efficient for you to decide what headphone you want as you prefer. Amateur reviewers tend to focus on aspects of a piece of gear that they care about. If you want more complete reviews, you should probably look at reviews by professionals only. Pick some with an approach that you appreciate and stick with them.
Couldn't have said it better. The last paragraph is especially accurate. There are "reviewers" that have been doing this for years, some over a decade, yet the quality of their articles is not a foot further from amateur. Embarrassing, to say the least. The worst part is that the readers and interested buyers are the ones suffering, the "reviewer" accomplished his mission by getting a free product... now after they are finished with writing their crappy article, they can finally go off and sell the product (their ultimate goal).

Sep 12, 2021 at 1:17 PM Post #6 of 15
I guess it depends on what you are looking for and why. If you are limiting yourself to closed backs why are you setting those limitations? Noise isolation, a less open stage, you like the way they reproduce bass? The reviewer has no idea what YOU are looking for when they do a review. Unless you specifically ask them and tell them what you want. If your only concern is noise isolation then I would be looking at stuff with a really tight seal, IEM's or noise canceling headphones. If that isn't your concern then it really doesn't matter if they closed back, partially closed or open. You are just looking for a specific sound.

Just because certain reviewer suggests a particular headphone over another one doesn't mean you have to buy it. Look at the reviews and pay attention to what they say about the headphones based on what you are looking for. Then make your decision. It is just information, you can do what you want with that information. If I am looking at reviews on any product I look at what they say about each product. Just becuase they suggest a certain because it is a better bargain or whatever doesn't mean that is what I am getting. I am looking for the features I want and don't want.

Also remember everyone hears different and has different tastes. What they like might not be what you like. As long as they don't say one is a pile of junk or has obvious flaws pick the one you think will work best for you. And if at all possible try to hear them first. If that isn't an option try to get it from a place that will let you return it if you don't like it.

Sep 12, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #7 of 15

No I'm not talking about people who are gushing with enthusiasm with their firs foray into headphones. Talking about established audio reviewers who have been doing it for years.

I was never a fan of Tyll and Innerfidelity because he alway talked in a way that was hiding he has preferences that become obvious only after watching and reading many of his reviews and someone who might not know him would be left with the wrong impression. But he was a good reviewer in that he compared headphones within their class both price and utility and their features. He wouldn't compare an AKG K812 to a AKG K631, which is a thing cause I saw someone comparing a $1100 open back to the K631, mind blown.

Even if a reviewer is talking to someone new to the hobby it is unacceptable.
- This can easily be rectified by spending 30 seconds of what the headphone is and what it is ideal for, what they excel at and say if these are not important features, then it is highly recommended to consider the other types of headphones there are. And maybe in closing statement or conclusion can say repeat the above, quick overview of the discussed pros and cons and say if the cons are blank whatever, then I would consider these other headphones.

And comparing closed to open back for those new to the hobby is disingenuous and doesn't do them any favors. It's not fair to the headphones, and it's not fair for those looking for good information, whether new or experienced with the hobby.

No matter how I see it, it's bad form, it's bad reviewing, and it's ignorant.

That's the equivalent of comparing a near field monitor meant for small studio or desktop setup to a 5 speaker surround entertainment system. Different purposes, different uses, different reasons and totally inappropriate to compare.

Anyway: For Elegia, didn't find any worthwhile reviews. The only review that I didn't think completely waste of time was Zeos only because I was entertained.
- Unfortunately I did the dick move of ordering from someone who has a no hassle 30 day free return service.

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2021 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 15
I must be missing something here. The end goal is how the headphone sounds. It shouldn't matter what type it is or what you are comparing it to. In what way is that disengenuous or bad form? As long as they do a decent job of explaining how each pair sounds I don't see where it makes a difference. I have heard open backs that have decent bass and I have heard closed backs that have poor bass. If the sound signature of the headphones are explained correctly I simply don't see why it matters. I guess I would have to see a specific review and see if the person did a poor job of explaining how they sound compared to another or if they were flat out saying something that wasn't true.

Most reviews I have seen if they are reviewing an open back pair they will comment that they have poor noise isolation, but maybe not. If they don't I guess that is up to the buyer to do more research on what the differences are between different types of headphones. A certain pair of headphones sound the way they sound, regardless of the type or design they are. I am just not getting what your issue is. I am going to re read the thread and see if I can make more sense of it.

Most of the numbnuts were saying buy the Clear over the Elegia.. Yeah if I was interested in Elegia I wouldn't be considering Clear for CLEAR reasons... I just don't get it. I'm baffled and confused by how dumb these reviews are.

Well I am sorry but to me reasons you would be considering those is not "clear" to me at all. And you didn't really say what those reasons were. My guess would be the reason they suggested the other headphones is because they liked them better. You are not obligated to agree with them.

Maybe try searching for closed back only reviews?

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #9 of 15
I been out of reading headphone reviews for a while, so took a gander of a few other reviews. And I saw the same trend, comparing open back headphones to closed studio monitoring headphones.

That sounds a little aggressive, but I think it's totally acceptable if it's done so for a particular reason.

For example, if a manufacturer has different headphones with similar technology in both open/closed headphones (like Focal, with the Clear and Elegia for example), it can help to give comparative/contextual references in sound terms, and what's going on in engineering terms. Of course, one is open and the other is closed and they (largely) have different applications but the reviewer should usually point this out, or the reader should be able to take that away.

For my part, I also don't see open/closed backs as being strictly black/white in the way that they're used. I'm not a producer, and I'm not an engineer - I just like listening to music. If there's a closed-back that does things better than an open-back in the same consideration set, then I'll probably choose the closed-back - other things being equal.

Sep 12, 2021 at 10:44 PM Post #10 of 15
"That sounds a little aggressive..."
Agreed! And it reeks of entitlement too.

If mainstream reviewers are so "dumb" and "moronic" it seems to me that there is always an opportunity to acquire said headphone, listen to it, and review it in whatever way one sees fit instead of whining about something that was provided at no cost to begin with. Maybe even fill the void left by the vast universe of idiotic, moronic, and incompetent reviewers. SMH

Sep 12, 2021 at 10:57 PM Post #11 of 15
If possible I would audition it at a place. Bring your reference CD or digital audio player and plug it in.

I’ve done this years ago at 2 Head fi meets in New York. It’s actually kind of fun too. It’s not a perfect way to judge headphones but it can give you some ideas.

Sep 12, 2021 at 11:25 PM Post #12 of 15
No I'm not talking about people who are gushing with enthusiasm with their firs foray into headphones. Talking about established audio reviewers who have been doing it for years.

I was never a fan of Tyll and Innerfidelity because he alway talked in a way that was hiding he has preferences that become obvious only after watching and reading many of his reviews and someone who might not know him would be left with the wrong impression. But he was a good reviewer in that he compared headphones within their class both price and utility and their features. He wouldn't compare an AKG K812 to a AKG K631, which is a thing cause I saw someone comparing a $1100 open back to the K631, mind blown.

Even if a reviewer is talking to someone new to the hobby it is unacceptable.
- This can easily be rectified by spending 30 seconds of what the headphone is and what it is ideal for, what they excel at and say if these are not important features, then it is highly recommended to consider the other types of headphones there are. And maybe in closing statement or conclusion can say repeat the above, quick overview of the discussed pros and cons and say if the cons are blank whatever, then I would consider these other headphones.

And comparing closed to open back for those new to the hobby is disingenuous and doesn't do them any favors. It's not fair to the headphones, and it's not fair for those looking for good information, whether new or experienced with the hobby.

No matter how I see it, it's bad form, it's bad reviewing, and it's ignorant.

That's the equivalent of comparing a near field monitor meant for small studio or desktop setup to a 5 speaker surround entertainment system. Different purposes, different uses, different reasons and totally inappropriate to compare.

Anyway: For Elegia, didn't find any worthwhile reviews. The only review that I didn't think completely waste of time was Zeos only because I was entertained.
- Unfortunately I did the dick move of ordering from someone who has a no hassle 30 day free return service.
Zeos is one of the worst reviewers out there. Objectively. Little to no technical knowledge, inconsistent method and description. As for the Elegia? Mediocre at best at its price point (yes, the ~$500 price point - at its original price it was a joke).

And yes, I own a pair.

Sep 13, 2021 at 9:54 AM Post #13 of 15
Zeos is one of the worst reviewers out there. Objectively. Little to no technical knowledge, inconsistent method and description. As for the Elegia? Mediocre at best at its price point (yes, the ~$500 price point - at its original price it was a joke).

And yes, I own a pair.
Yeah, I thought it was avg at best. $900 was too much for what it was. If you are reading alot of people say go for an open Focal. There's probably good reasons for that. The closed headphone isn't worth it?

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 2:30 PM Post #14 of 15
Yeah if I was interested in Elegia I wouldn't be considering Clear for CLEAR reasons... I just don't get it.
As someone who only uses closed backs these days I am also confused as to the constant comparisons to open backs. Maybe they don't see isolation as a prerequisite for someone buying a closed back headphone? Oh well, I just sift thru the review and take what I need. Just like every other audio related space on the internet. Good luck with your thirty day trial period.

Sep 17, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #15 of 15

Reviewers...
Headphones come in variety of shapes and for various purposes and used for different reasons.

Was on a mission to find sub $700 closed headphones. I started looking at Elegia. I see moron reviewers on google searches and youtube all making comparisons to the Clear, HD650 and other open back headphones and to studio monitoring headphones like Newman NDH20.

What is going on with moron reviewers. If someone wants a review of a closed headphone, why don't they use common sense and judge the headphones for the what it is. A CLOSED headphone and address the reasons why someone would want a closed headphone and compare it to other closed headphones.

Almost every review I read or saw of the Elegia I was left with feeling, damn I wasted lot of time and that was a useless review.

If you are looking for a legit reviewer, then you notice how experienced they are, regarding having owned the gears.

If a person has owned less then 25 headphones, then they are not a reviewer, they are "learning how".

Reviewing gear is fun for everyone to try, but its not going to be accurate unless years and time and gear are all a part of what has informed the reviewer.

The reviews that i find silliest are those where the reviewer has never owned a set of headphones that cost more then $600, and they show up every time with a new review of a $2000+ set that they "heard in a shop", or "heard at an event for about 2 minutes".

The best reviewer has no favorites.
See, when you have no "well it does not sound like an audeze"... "it does not sound like a Hifiman"...."It does not sound like a Senn"......point of view, then you are free to just hear the gear based on it's own sonic face value.
If you've read my many reviews, then you may have noticed i never say a gear "sounds bad"., as that is TOO subjective.
I am careful, of course, not to review junk, as there is some of that available. :)

Headphones are not reality. They are just a sonic representation. So, evaluate each based on how it sounds vs, using a chart to show that it does not hit the Harman target.

Put it on.
Use many sound files.
Are you thrilled or are you wondering why you spent money on something that isn't making you say "wow".....
Let your own ears decide, as they know best for you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back