Large free space suggestion
May 12, 2010 at 8:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Towert7

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi Jude.

I think a lot of people liked the old forum because the content was much tighter in display.  This implementation has large amounts of free space.

If the software could be optimized to trim off some of the free space, along with a few placement changes, the forum could be much tighter and could, in form, resemble the old one.

4602190679_3848079173_o.gif

The above image should cycle through between a photo of what the forum looks like now, and what it could look like with a bit of trimming.  Sadly, I don't know how to post the image at full size, so the full size photo can be viewed here: http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4014/4602190679_3848079173_o.gif

In the top menu, I added a text link for 'members list'.  I moved the forum nav menu next to the Head-Fi text (this freed up a huge amount of space).  Then I just trimmed some of the free space and reduced the padding of some elements.

I think if this new forum could be trimmed similar to this, and with a few placement changes, it would very closely resemble the old one.  I would really like to see this be the case.

Hope this helps,
~Drew

May 12, 2010 at 8:34 PM Post #2 of 8
Looks nice. I like what you are proposing. He probably has bigger fish to fry, but hopefully he can do something like that in the future.

May 12, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #3 of 8
The edited version up near the location path looks a little too claustrophobic. But I see what you're getting at and agree. Maybe something between the two.

Also, probably because of the forum, your image doesn't cycle but stays on the edited image. Going to the full image cycles it though.

Nevermind. It's cycling now.

May 12, 2010 at 9:18 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
The edited version up near the location path looks a little too claustrophobic. But I see what you're getting at and agree. Maybe something between the two.

Also, probably because of the forum, your image doesn't cycle but stays on the edited image. Going to the full image cycles it though.

I agree.....

May 12, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #6 of 8
May 13, 2010 at 6:56 AM Post #7 of 8
Not as tight as you are proposing in the picture but a little less space would be good. Smaller Avatar pictures might help a lot. (or if we could get the option to switch the avatar to the side that would be cool too :wink:).

May 13, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Not as tight as you are proposing in the picture but a little less space would be good. Smaller Avatar pictures might help a lot. (or if we could get the option to switch the avatar to the side that would be cool too :wink:).

Side avatars would be nice as an option, but with the huge right-hand sidebar already taking up so much horizontal space, it may be better to sacrifice vertical pixels instead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back