LAMPIZATOR THREAD COMMENTS REVIEWS TUNING
Jan 7, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #826 of 1,061
Congrats @keithc !

If I recall correctly from a post on another forum (WBF), it has Engine 11 installed?

I've had a number of great DAC's go through my systems. I finally tried Lampi last year and I was hooked, now I own Lampi's for both my headphone and speaker systems and and I can't imagine ever wanting to go with a different manufacturer.

I am all stocked up on extra tubes as well (ouch, expensive and time consuming to research and find them, but worth it) so I am committed. Easily among my best audio buying decisions ever.
What Lampi do you have in your Headphone set up? I need to step my game up 🤦🏼‍♂️

Jan 7, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #827 of 1,061
Congrats @keithc !

If I recall correctly from a post on another forum (WBF), it has Engine 11 installed?

I've had a number of great DAC's go through my systems. I finally tried Lampi last year and I was hooked, now I own Lampi's for both my headphone and speaker systems and and I can't imagine ever wanting to go with a different manufacturer.

I am all stocked up on extra tubes as well (ouch, expensive and time consuming to research and find them, but worth it) so I am committed. Easily among my best audio buying decisions ever.

It is a 3. @BlakeT, what are you using for tubes in your GG2?

Jan 7, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #828 of 1,061
@highstream and @NotTheMomma

I have a Big 7 that has been upgraded to full GG2 specs, and an original GG2. I had the factory modify each DAC to optimize them for use with KR 242's, as that tube has high output.

So, for tubes I go with KR 242 (RK Anniversary), KR 5U4G (RK Anniversary), KR PX-25 (RK Anniversary).

I also got a Takatsuki 274A, I just need to devote some time to comparing it to the KR 5U4G.

Taka-1.jpg
Taka-2.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #829 of 1,061
Thanks. Different tonal tastes. I used a KR 5U4G RK in (now) Keith's TRP 2 and it had me feeling like throwing the system out the window; i.e., I'm not a fan of "neutral." I recently tried the Tak 300B in my GG3 and found that it had a lot of great qualities, best I'd heard in some cases, but the midrange didn't excite me. It was as if the goal had been to create as smooth a response curve as possible. Since this is head-fi, I should say both were in my living room speaker system.

Jan 7, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #830 of 1,061
@highstream Yes, could be we have different tonal tastes, but I suspect it is more likely a result of a different blend of partnering equipment.

What is the rest of your system?

EDIT: I have not tried any 300B's with my DAC's because I see pretty consistent luke warm or negative comments when using that tube in Lampi DACs. It seems the 300B may not be synergistic for many Lampi owners, but that is just my take from reading the Lampi tube rolling threads.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2023 at 2:55 PM Post #831 of 1,061
@highstream Yes, could be we have different tonal tastes, but I suspect it is more likely a result of a different blend of partnering equipment.

What is the rest of your system?

EDIT: I have not tried any 300B's with my DAC's because I see pretty consistent luke warm or negative comments when using that tube in Lampi DACs.

Lampizator Golden Gate 3 dac 3 (upgrade); VAC Master preamp; Ric Schulz modified Oppo 203 (digital only); ATC SCM 5OASLT active speakers & JL Audio e-110 subs on custom pedestals & Gaia I & II feet; PS Audio P15 Regenerator w/ PowerBase; WyWires Diamond power cords and ICs; AV Roomservice EVPs & Graphite Audio Premium Isolation Cones; Purist Audio Design Neptune S/PDIF & HDMI cables; iFi S/PDIF Purifier w/ Paul Hynes SR4 LPS; QSA Red and Red/Black fuses; Furutech GTX-D outlet and Furutech NCF Clear Line (for now); LG C1 HDTV, Audioquest Vodka 48 HDMI cable; CATV with Tii-220 cable filter; High Fidelity magnetic adapters and NPS-Q45T contact enhancer. ASC bass traps (4)

Jan 7, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #832 of 1,061
@highstream and @NotTheMomma

I have a Big 7 that has been upgraded to full GG2 specs, and an original GG2. I had the factory modify each DAC to optimize them for use with KR 242's, as that tube has high output.

So, for tubes I go with KR 242 (RK Anniversary), KR 5U4G (RK Anniversary), KR PX-25 (RK Anniversary).

I also got a
, I just need to devote some time to comparing it to the KR 5U4G.

Taka-1.jpgTaka-2.jpg
That’s bad assery my friend. 😎 I have some KR 5U4G’s and look forward to hearing how they compare to that Takatsuki 274A if you can give a comparison when you A/B them. Cheers

Jan 7, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #833 of 1,061
The KR PX-25 (RK Anniversary) and the 242 and the now hard to find EML Mesh Anniversary were recommended to me by someone who knows I like a bit of warmth. Price of entry is high on these going in blind on tonality. But it's really the VAC's preamp tube, 6922/6DJ8 and types that is the hang up. By far the best overall, tone aside, seems to be the Reflektor 6N45P 1975 Silver Shield, but I often find it hard to be drawn in with it.

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #835 of 1,061
Very nice system @highstream. Would you say the ATC's overall are neutral? I've not heard them but from reading, I assumed ATC's are exceptionally transparent, in a good way.
They are a little less warm than the SCM40 model, but not terribly so (I also had the SCM19A). The 50's are definitely not clinical, as Paul McGowan claims. Plus, I've always used aftermarket fuses in them, currently QSA Reds, as well as WyWires IC's and power cords, which help toward my tastes.

Jan 25, 2023 at 12:14 PM Post #837 of 1,061
Could anyone share any comments on how the Baltic compares sonically to the Atlantic?

Thankyou

I personally don't know (I had an original Golden Atlantic at one point (excellent DAC), but never heard the Baltic), but since no others have responded, there is this comparison on the Lampizator website (attached).

One thing that is a bit interesting to me, and it is just anecdotal, but over the last year or so there have been many more Baltic's for sale on the used market than other Lampizator models. I recognize some of the Baltic seller's on the forums sold Baltic to move up the Lampi line. So this is not necessarily a knock against the Baltic.

Personally, if funds allow, I'd start with Big 7 or higher. Tubes have a very big impact on Lampi sonics. And with Big 7 and higher, you get DHT's which are generally superior. I'd also avoid balanced models, as finding quads of tubes is expensive, a pain in the butt to source, and from reports from very experienced users, balanced is not superior in terms of sound quality.

Finally, take the website marketing commentary on the different digital engines with a grain of salt. The latest Engine 11 is getting good reviews from users, but I get strongly conflicting info on whether the newer engines are better when dealing with Lampi tech department. Often, digital engines are changed solely due to parts availability. So, if you can get Engine 11 great, but if you are looking at a used model without it, I wouldn't let that bother me too much.

Attachments

• Lampi 2023 Prices.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 25, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #838 of 1,061
Unless something has changed since I last looked, the Big 7, GG and Pacific are now legacy and available new on special order only. They are not going to be further developed, although the Engine 11 upgrade is still available afaik.

Jan 25, 2023 at 1:21 PM Post #839 of 1,061
You are right. I'm not sure how big a change this is from a customer ordering standpoint as a result of "legacy" status. I guess it just means they won't have pre-assembled B7, GG or Pacifics sitting in stock ready to ship out, so perhaps a bit longer wait time?

They say they won't be further developed, but most all Lampi DAC's can be updated by sending them to the factory, so my guess is, if there is some new development in the regular DAC line, you could get it installed in your B7, GG or Pacific. Just speculation on my part though.

Jan 25, 2023 at 2:57 PM Post #840 of 1,061
You are right. I'm not sure how big a change this is from a customer ordering standpoint as a result of "legacy" status. I guess it just means they won't have pre-assembled B7, GG or Pacifics sitting in stock ready to ship out, so perhaps a bit longer wait time?

They say they won't be further developed, but most all Lampi DAC's can be updated by sending them to the factory, so my guess is, if there is some new development in the regular DAC line, you could get it installed in your B7, GG or Pacific. Just speculation on my part though.

The Lampi site is rather explicit that legacy models won’t get further developments:

“Legacy products are our classic line DACs that are not discontinued, but they are made strictly to a custom order. They will not be - from 2023 onwards - developed further and in the main lineup of Lampizator portfolio.” https://www.lampizatorpoland.com/services-4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back