Kmixer and Firewire HELP!!!
Oct 28, 2004 at 1:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

mbratrud

100+ Head-Fier
Just to be sure..if I run iTunes on a PC running Windows XP - Use NO soundcard (none integrated into the mother board either) - AND USE A FIREWIRE connection out - DO I BYPASS KMIXER????

Oct 28, 2004 at 2:04 AM Post #4 of 9
I'm saying that Firewire has nothing to do with kMixer. You could be bypassing kMixer but are likely not, depending on which external soundcard you have and which drivers you are using.

Oct 28, 2004 at 2:06 AM Post #5 of 9
I am NOT using any external soundcard (running into an Apogee Big Ben) and I'd be using the drivers supplied by Apogee which would not use kmixer.

I thought kmixer was part of Windows operating

Oct 28, 2004 at 3:00 AM Post #6 of 9
In an ideal world, the drivers supplied by Apogee would always bypass kMixer. It's a pro unit after all. However, I wouldn't be so sure that's the case in reality. In fact, I would tend to be skeptical. Normal users (the kind who expect to be able to play games and have system sounds mix over on top of that) would lose functionality if kMixer was bypassed in all circumstances.

Apogee probably expects pro users to use ASIO. ASIO will definitely bypass kMixer. Most pro audio software uses ASIO by default.

Unfortunately, I don't know of any way to configure iTunes to use ASIO. Most other playback software does offer this as an option. In particular, you may want to investigate Foobar, which does have an ASIO output plugin.

The other way to determine for sure is to borrow a home theatre receiver from a friend, hook it up to your sound card using a digital connection (coax or optical), and try playing back a DTS/DD PCM-encoded sound file from within iTunes. If you hear music from the home theatre receiver, everything is fine. If you hear static, things are not fine.

Oct 28, 2004 at 3:07 AM Post #7 of 9
Another good option, by the way, for those who have external DACs and prefer to use iTunes is to get an Airport Express, which is known to produce a clean digital output provided you use the right settings within iTunes. (The exact settings are given on Apple's support website.)

Obviously, in your case, with a piece of gear as good as the Big Ben, you're not going to be interested in the AE. I'd highly suggest switching to Foobar as a music playback program to make sure you're taking full advantage of the Big Ben.

Oct 28, 2004 at 3:07 AM Post #8 of 9
I guess I may have to go back to the MAC....but they don't have silent computers......This is really frustrating!!!

I could ask at apogee I guess but I am with you...how do you know your info is valid?

Oct 28, 2004 at 3:13 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbratrud
I could ask at apogee I guess but I am with you...how do you know your info is valid?

Because I've tested a variety of setups. For me, the issue was the Rhapsody music subscription service, which has its own playback program -- I can't use Foobar with it. Finding a sound card that bypassed kMixer all the time (so that I could be confident in Rhapsody) was hit and miss.

Note that I'm not saying that I know for sure that the Big Ben does not bypass kMixer. It might, and it probably would in an ideal world. I just don't know. The only way to really know for certain is to use ASIO or test things yourself.

Note that you don't need a high end HT receiver to test this. Any cheap Wal-Mart HT receiver will do the trick. You can probably pick one up for $100 or so, run a few quick tests, and return it. That way you'd be absolutely certain.

If you're looking for a silent Mac, you could always pick up one of the Mac cubes on eBay. No fan, and it wouldn't look too out of place on an equipment rack. Not the fastest machine these days, but if you're only using it for music playback....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back