Kimber 1 meter Mini to Mini
Oct 18, 2001 at 1:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

disturbed

500+ Head-Fier
http://www.headphone.com/layout.php?...tID=0050160070

Anyone has had any expeirence with this cable for portable use?
Home use?
As far as I know it'd difficult to make a good Mini-Mini cable
smily_headphones1.gif

How long is the Straightwire Mini-Mini that headroom is selling?

Oct 18, 2001 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by disturbed
How long is the Straightwire Mini-Mini that headroom is selling?

I haven't used mine for a while, but it is very short. About a foot or so I think. 1/2 m max. It really fit into the airbag without any problems. But I am sure there is somebody here who can give you the exact length.

Oct 18, 2001 at 7:50 PM Post #4 of 11
Thanks for the info. guys.
The straightwire is long enough for me.

So the Kimber Mini- Mini or Straightwire Mini-Mini?
For portable use
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 18, 2001 at 10:24 PM Post #6 of 11
I have both versions of the Straightwire mini-to-mini from Headroom - the one shown on their website, and the older one which looks like the Straightwire "Link" interconnect. I also have a Kimber PBJ mini-to-mini which I made myself. Of the three, I think the Kimber is the best, followed by the "old" straightwire cable, and the worst sounding is the new Straightwire mini-to-mini. I therefore recommend the Kimber cable over the Straightwire.

And cables certainly do matter for portables just as much as for any other part of your hi fi system, and the differences are clearly audible.

Ross

Oct 18, 2001 at 10:52 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

And cables certainly do matter for portables just as much as for any other part of your hi fi system, and the differences are clearly audible.

I think what chych is saying is that in most portable environments (ones where the listener is active, or where there is lots of ambient noise), the differences in cables is not going to be very audible. I think for the most part, chych is right.

If your "portable" rig is really an office rig or home rig, then cables could make a big difference.

Oct 19, 2001 at 2:48 AM Post #8 of 11
MacDEF, sorry, but I don't agree. I use my portable system only for travelling on the bus to and from work, and it is a very noisy environment. Nevertheless, the differences between cables are still obvious, and the improvements from better cables are still worthwhile. Why go to the trouble of using a decent portable CD player and amp if you don't want the best sound you can reasonably get?

Ross

Oct 19, 2001 at 3:13 AM Post #9 of 11
I think it would really depend on how important portablity is... I mean, for me, I do not use the portable rig that much at all... (wait I haven't gotten my portalbe amp yet so...)... anyways I am planning on hooking it to a pair of Homegrown Super Silver IIs using a Radioshack mini->rca connector... If you use adapters, you can get a far more broader range of cables possible...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back