Kenwood's new digital amp MDPs
Sep 5, 2002 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

leon

500+ Head-Fier
More fodder for discussion
biggrin.gif

http://www.watch.impress.co.jp/av/do...5/kenwood3.htm

Kenwood have said they're "working" with Sharp on "1-bit" amps, and specifically mentioned portable use. Apparently, though, these are not Sharp clones. The amp here is rated 4.3+4.3mW @16ohm, as opposed to Sharp (5+5@32) and Sony (5+5@16). With gumstick: 40/57/64-hour play on the Q77/55, 36/52/57 on the Q33.

Kenwood used to procure parts from Matsu****a and Sony for the past few years, and they probably continued to use some of the parts in these MDPs.

The Q77 comes with a foldable speaker/cradle, and you can use the speakers without the AC adaptor (will play 10 hours SP on rechargeable). The Q55/33 have foldable stands but not the speakers. Also: The Q55 comes with both clip and earbud phones.

The remote does 2 lines of text display (Q77 and Q55 does 2 lines in Kanji too), and you can pick any combination to go into those 2 lines (#/time, title, group title, disc title, play mode, kenwood logo). Note Kenwood has reverted to a clip that goes on the cord
frown.gif

EQ is bass/treble only, there's also - guess what - surround effect. The Q33 doesn't have surround. All three have aluminum casing.

The Q33 ships late September, the Q77 ships early Oct, the Q55 ships mid October. Estimated street price: Q33 20,000 yen, Q55 25,000 yen, Q77 26,000 yen.

Sep 6, 2002 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 9
I love this time of year - so many more MD units out!

BTW, didn't Kenwood used to clone Sharp units? This seems like a home-grown unit, unlike most previous units.

Sep 6, 2002 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 9
I've found it difficult to purchase portable MD units in Canada with the exception of Sony.

If I want to purchase Sharp, Kenwood, Aiwa or Panasonic, where can I buy these units?

Sep 6, 2002 at 5:13 PM Post #4 of 9
Mystyler,
I used to have a Kenwood L5, when I opened it up I saw an Sony ATRAC chip (forgot the chip # but it's version 4.5), and the pickup/spindle look 99.9% like the one from my Panasonic MJ75 (which used Sanyo's ATRAC).

Kenwood's put out 6 or so players since the L5. They are very similar in size, some of them share the bottom casing/buttons too. They probably bought the digital amp from either Sharp or Sony, and put it in their players
biggrin.gif

It's like the Ford Mustang - no matter how they change the exterior you somehow get the sense it's the same chassis from the 70s (and it is) :p :p Sorry, American reference :p

The cloning of Sharp models stopped... AFAIK recording with a boombox/ stereo system is prevalent in Japan, and PMDRs are relatively non-mainstream. Kenwood's been buying ATRAC for those products from Sony... Type-R too.

Watchdog,
You might have to resort to "mail"-ordering on the Web.

Sep 7, 2002 at 7:49 PM Post #6 of 9
If you've got it, flaunt it.. so this is what I remember:

Panasonic has bought entire MDP chip packages (ATRAC decoder, micro-computer, pickup driver, etc.) from Sanyo for the first 2-3 years. The MJ35 may have been the first Panasonic player to use Panasonic's own microprocessor. For a while they were a mixture of both, but I think current Panasonics would have no "foreign" content by now. Panasonic MDRs have always been 100% developed by themselves.

Those Sanyo packages were promoted on the Web by Sanyo's semiconductor subsidiary; Panasonic did the same with their own ATRAC chips, so the IC # was easy to find/match.

Kenwood uses Sony components often, and even cloned a hi-end Sony deck in 1996 if I'm not mistaken. e.g. the DMC-J3 had Sony's ATRAC 4.5. I suspect the J3's mechanism was Panasonic - there was a Matsu****a logo on the pickup motor
biggrin.gif

By the time MDLP was launched, Sony's own MDLP-capable chips also had Type-R, and it seems that they sold these chips to Kenwood and Onkyo, among others, for their first MDLP products.

Sep 8, 2002 at 1:46 PM Post #7 of 9
Well, I'm not going to argue there!
biggrin.gif

So you are saying that newer Kenwood/Onkyo units have Type-R capability? Are the advertising this, or have I misunderstood you?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 8, 2002 at 3:08 PM Post #8 of 9
Okay, it is not *confirmed*, but certain Kenwood, Onkyo and JVC home equipments are thought to have entirely-Sony-made mechanism and chips.

Onkyo has been advertising a "high-speed" ATRAC for over a year now, and it's thought by most people to be Type-R in marketing disguise, because Onkyo said somewhere that the "speed" increase is double. And that sounds like Type-R.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back