Kef Egg vs B&W mm-1 vs Kef x300a as desktop speakers?
Jan 29, 2016 at 5:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

noobnorwegian

Head-Fier
Hi, I currently use Kef x300a as desktop speakers, and I previously had the B&W mm-1. I see that the new Kef Eggs got a good review in What Hifi, but there are no stores in Oslo that have these for audition. Have anyone here tried these speakers, especially for a desktop system? Any comparison against the B&W mm-1 or the x300a (the x300a is slightly to big for my desk). Anyone seen some measurements of the Kef Egg?

Appreciate any input & response
popcorn.gif

Jan 29, 2016 at 10:21 AM Post #2 of 7
  Hi, I currently use Kef x300a as desktop speakers, and I previously had the B&W mm-1. I see that the new Kef Eggs got a good review in What Hifi, but there are no stores in Oslo that have these for audition. Have anyone here tried these speakers, especially for a desktop system? Any comparison against the B&W mm-1 or the x300a (the x300a is slightly to big for my desk). Anyone seen some measurements of the Kef Egg?

I've just bought the X300A (non-wireless version, as it's US$100 cheaper in HK) after actually listened to the egg in stores. The egg basically used a downsized version of the x300a's Uni-Q driver. as the physical limitations the egg have worse bass respond (down to 90Hz @-3db and 80Hz @ -6db compared to x300a's 58Hz @ -3db and 49Hz @-6db). but the egg have a sub-woofer output to compensate it. 

To me, the egg sounded a bit less extended. if you don't have or planned to use a sub-woofer with it, I think the x300a would be a much better choice (as represented by their marked price really) more extended and open sound all round.

Feb 24, 2016 at 2:32 PM Post #3 of 7
  I've just bought the X300A (non-wireless version, as it's US$100 cheaper in HK) after actually listened to the egg in stores. The egg basically used a downsized version of the x300a's Uni-Q driver. as the physical limitations the egg have worse bass respond (down to 90Hz @-3db and 80Hz @ -6db compared to x300a's 58Hz @ -3db and 49Hz @-6db). but the egg have a sub-woofer output to compensate it. 

To me, the egg sounded a bit less extended. if you don't have or planned to use a sub-woofer with it, I think the x300a would be a much better choice (as represented by their marked price really) more extended and open sound all round.

For what it's worth, the X300A is available with sub out (after market modification), check:
https://www.sunaudio.com/products/kef-x300a-subwoofer-output-modification

Feb 25, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #4 of 7
  For what it's worth, the X300A is available with sub out (after market modification), check:
https://www.sunaudio.com/products/kef-x300a-subwoofer-output-modification

I know about this, but since these's no official dealer in Hong Kong, plus the price difference is quite large, I'd go with the regular X300A, for normal listening, personally I thinks that down to ~50hz is quite enough

Jul 16, 2016 at 12:47 PM Post #5 of 7
i'm also interested in these for my laptop as a desktop small kitchen setup.
i'm not into playing at high levels but i do like resolution and good bass slam when needed
(but not overly done).

also considering klipsche synergy 2.0 and adam x7a (but latter is larger)

Sep 21, 2021 at 8:33 PM Post #7 of 7
Not sure but I have had KEF Eggs for a few years. Great microdetail. More on the warm side. Amazing speakers. I have expensive headphones and these are just as good in its own ways ...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back