Just saw The CULT in concert!!
Jun 27, 2001 at 10:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Wayne77

New Head-Fier
just saw these guys the other night. The opening bands were Bird3, Stabbing Westward, and Monster Magnet.

Bird3 was pretty good, aside from the goofy looking wings the lead singer wears.

Stabbing Westward was great. I never really took notice of them, but I think I'll go buy an album now. The whole band is extremely talented.

Monster Magnet sucked big time! What a bunch of freaks. The lead singer looks like the bass player from Spinal Tap. These guys are basically some MotorHead-Deep Purple-Black Sabbath rip off band that time forgot... They need to get back into their time machine. Its funny because on their website it says something about how they hate all the posers and corporate rock out there. Well, these guys were oozing with self-pretentious poserness! All the lead singer does is crawl around the stage trying to be all mysterious and evil looking, playing with his phallic-symbol water bottle. What a tired act to regurgitate. The guy must have had his own wanna be metal band in the 80's that never made it and finally he has a chance to shine..yeah whatever...blah blah blah

THE CULT. need I say more? Ian astbury is perhaps (IMO) one of the greates rock vocalists out there. He manages to meld that soulful blueseyness with the punk dynamics and attitude. I really thought his voice would be aging by now. But seriously, he sounds exactly like he does on "Electric"! which was over 15 years ago. Billy Duffy, the guitarist, oozes cool. He is the perfect example of a rock guitarist for me: Simple, yet killer hooks, no hint of pretension, plenty of dynamics, no effects, and (Thankfully) a lack of all the stupid weedly-weedly guitar soloing that poluted the 80's. They played many of their hits along with some tunes from the new album, "Beyond Good and Evil" Cult fans should check this album out, it grows on me more and more, while not yet quite reaching the pinnacle that only "Love" and "Electric" occupy.

Jun 28, 2001 at 7:45 PM Post #2 of 3
Yeah, I have the Cult's latest and it's a great CD. Everyone should check it out.
Monster Magnet is a band I like but I've never seem them in concert. They remind me of a left over Rock Band from the seventies.

Jun 29, 2001 at 12:21 AM Post #3 of 3
wayne, I think your summed up the Cult perfectly for me. Billy's punk sense probably had something to do with his simple guitar licks - quite refreshing when you think of all the ****-rocker, solo crazy guitarists in that style. Some folks out there will poopoo his technical skills, but few guitarists have come up with such effective hooks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back