Just got my EGGO's!!!
Oct 18, 2002 at 1:18 PM Post #31 of 36
What does the porta corda do with the eggos? do you like it? How long did it take to get to you? How's the crossfeed? (I'm thinking about getting one.)

Quote:

Originally posted by linnem

Just got my porta corda in the mail today....mmmmmm,,,crisp!
You should get an amp mystyler, you would love it, does not have to be anything fancy, a fixup super mini will do the trick.

Oct 18, 2002 at 10:44 PM Post #32 of 36
How is the isolation on the eggos? Do they have a fairly flat response in comparison to the V6/7506 and the Senn 280s? I'm looking for some closed phones with isolation that are semi-portable and suitable for monitoring.

Oct 18, 2002 at 10:56 PM Post #33 of 36
Taking the D66 (forget the D22) -

They have a more 'pop-friendly' response than the HD280. It's very pleasant to listen to, and musically it's very much an all-rounder but I wouldn't use them for monitoring in the same way I wouldn't use a Beyer DT250-80. I haven't heard the V6, and only heard the 7506 (an unbroken-in example) for a very short while so I can't really comment on the difference between the D66 and those.

The 66's have well below average isolation. There is some evident, but not that much. I've been playing about with some isolating mods but so far, it's been a bit of a wasted effort.

Oct 18, 2002 at 11:07 PM Post #34 of 36
Hmm... thanks for the input Magic.

Looks like I'll be sticking with the Senn 280s. Even if they will make me look like *more* of a dork =D

How about a mod to put the sound of the Senn 600 into the v700 casing... (of course retaining the transparency of the Senns with the isolation of the v700s...) mmm, yummy!

Oct 19, 2002 at 12:43 AM Post #35 of 36
I suppose it depends on how much listening you intend to do, and how much monitoring.

The D66 is a superb listening phone - slightly crippled by it's comparative openness when outside, but still damned good - and what's even better, it sounds good without an amp. Unfortunately it's also pretty fragile - although nothing bad's happened to mine so far, and after having taken them apart, I see they're pretty easy to fix.

The HD280, while being as I said superb monitors, are not so hot when it comes down to just listening IMO - the response is too flat. It works reasonably well with Jazz, Classical, etc but even in those genres a bit of low-end meat on these cans wouldn't hurt the overall rendition. I certainly don't sit down with an album with the HD280.

For a while after I bought the HD280 based on recommendations here, I was really disappointed because they just didn't have the sound I wanted, especially for the majority of music I listen to. And since I bought them for outside use, the looks... jeez, the looks. There was all sorts of arguments about whether they had enough bass or not, and whether they looked ugly or not... But one day, I was editing something I uploaded from a Minidisc, and I used the HD280 instead of my JBL monitors. It immediately clicked and I've dedicated the 280 to this purpose since.

Oct 19, 2002 at 9:07 PM Post #36 of 36
That's perfect for my needs. I'm really only going to be using the 280s to monitor stuff. I've also just ordered a Super mini amp from fixup, so driving them shouldn't be a problem. I also like the isolation factor, because my only other options right now are the ksc-50s or the senn 600s, both of which emit and let in quite a bit of noise.

I feel like I'm going to end up like you magic... a headphone for every occasion. let's see... I'll need some really elegant ones for when I strap on the ole formal wear...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back