Just got into vinyl... a couple questions...
Sep 15, 2004 at 7:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

james__bean

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey Todd, just wondering if I could ask a couple questions. I've been really interested in dj-ing for a while now so I finally bought myself a Technics 1200mk5. From what I've been told, it's pretty much been the standard for DJ turntables for years. Anyways, I went down to Portland to get myself some records and I found some great used stuff. (Three Stanley Clarke albums used for pretty cheap
biggrin.gif
) Now I'm looking to clean up the used records I bought. I don't really have the money to invest in a heavy duty record cleaner at the moment because I still need to buy another turntable. (And more vinyl
biggrin.gif
) Is there anything out there that would be a good temporary solution (Probably a year) for cleaning the used vinyl I'm buying? I'm looking for more than just a brush because a couple of these records have quite a few pops throughout the record and I doubt its just dust causing it. I don't actually plan on buying a lot of used stuff, but if I find something too good to pass up I don't want to be having second thoughts.

I've already found a couple of good spots for buying Vinyl in Eugene and Portland, and I get a discount from my work's online store. So I see myself buying a lot of vinyl and I'm going to need a place to put all these records. I don't really have a bookshelf or anything to put them in so I was wondering if you knew of any places that sold any type of shelving for vinyl.

Thanks for any suggestions...

Sep 15, 2004 at 11:26 AM Post #2 of 13
Good questions. Please read earlier thread on cleaning machine. You should invest in some good cleaning solutions though, but these are much less than a machine and will last quite a while.

Todd sells the Bugg juice which is among the better solutions, especially on older albums, great for mildew. I also like Record Research Labs. Many choices on brushes, I really like Nagaoka but not sure avail in your area. The Carbon Fibers are good too. Good to experiment. Disc Doctor nice too.

I use a DIY vac found good instructions on a teres page.
http://www.teresaudio.com/haven/cleaner/cleaner.html

Cost is $5 to make attachment. Presuming you have a vac, no need for fancy case just attach to normal vac when cleaing. I also use with a marble cake spindle with TT matt, posted a pic while back can do again if interested cost $20approx.

But Vac is not required. Can still clean manually with brush/cloth. In Japan most folks do without machine.

The effort to clean is generally worth it. Take care of that precious vinyl.

Sep 15, 2004 at 2:56 PM Post #3 of 13
Another great product is the Orbitrac 2 system by Allsop. I used one prior to investing in a record vacuum and it works very well.

Orbitrac.jpg

Sep 15, 2004 at 3:12 PM Post #4 of 13
Second the orbitrac. Just make sure you can let records dry throroughly before playing or resleeving. If you've got a lower powered wet/dry vac around, consider modding an attachment to use for drying.

Also interesting, are some inexpensive devices sold on ebay (and I presume elsewhere) that basically facilitate holding and hand washing the record while protecting the labels. You can get one of these and do the really filthy records in the sink (the way we all did before the machines came out); use brush for the ones that are just dusty.

Sep 16, 2004 at 5:23 PM Post #5 of 13
All good answers and recommendations. One additional thought... use regular strength Buggtussel Vinyl Zyme for your cleaning solution. I have found it to work wonders on pops and ticks on dirty used records as well as new records. Make sure you let the records dry. if you go to a vacuum drying method, then the extra strength vinyl zyme will work even better on the used records.

As for shelving, I had custom crates built for me and I am awaiting the next batch to arrive so I can sell some of them. They are like a normal crate only stackable. So, you can store the records a few different ways. I have mine like library books in the stacked crates. I hope to get some pictures up of them soon and have them in stock in a month or so. i got 15 of them and used them all for myself.

todd

Sep 18, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by taymat
For older records a good trick I heard was to spray wd-40 onto them and wipe into the grooves with a soft cloth.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't WD-40 a powerful solvent that could ruin the record? I think that a solution meant specifically for records would be much better.

Sep 21, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #8 of 13
The WD40 may be a good trick to make the record look good but I would not do it. I want a record that sounds good. If it looks good that is a bonus. I use Buggtussel for all of my records and they sound great. They don't look to bad either. I of course don't use it on the jacket
tongue.gif

Todd

Sep 25, 2004 at 8:08 AM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk_suki
The effort to clean is generally worth it. Take care of that precious vinyl.

If you could post that pic, that'd be great. Also, if I plan on purchasing just the Bugg Juice right now, what type of cloth should I use? Also, where could I find the Record Research Labs cleaner that you mentioned, and the brush (online, preferably).

Sep 27, 2004 at 3:47 PM Post #10 of 13
I have better pics posted b4 on vac attachment a while back but hard to dig up(search? under DIY). Send me a PM with your email and I will send ya some more.

Record Research Lab fluid are distributed by MusicalSurroundings:

http://www.musicalsurroundings.com/rrl.html

Need to get back to ya on the cloth I use. Not sure exactly but Dad works for KC as Engineer so knows cloth/paper quite well. Guessing a low lint high fiber content. I have some from my dad which is very similar to the ones they sell with LP cleaning kits. Of course I am no expert so could be coincidence?

-tk

Oct 1, 2004 at 7:50 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by tk_suki
I have better pics posted b4 on vac attachment a while back but hard to dig up(search? under DIY). Send me a PM with your email and I will send ya some more.

Record Research Lab fluid are distributed by MusicalSurroundings:

http://www.musicalsurroundings.com/rrl.html

Need to get back to ya on the cloth I use. Not sure exactly but Dad works for KC as Engineer so knows cloth/paper quite well. Guessing a low lint high fiber content. I have some from my dad which is very similar to the ones they sell with LP cleaning kits. Of course I am no expert so could be coincidence?

-tk

I always have seen lint free cloths recommended for record cleaning, but everytime I go into a store asking for them, I get looked at like I'm smoking dust.

Jan 11, 2006 at 12:15 AM Post #12 of 13
I ordered the Buggtussel Vinyl Zyme earlier today along with a Decca 2x2 dry brush (and just received the email that the order is expected to ship today - WOW). Is there a recommended "soft brush" to use in applying the Buggtussel VinylZyme to the record? Thanks.

Jan 18, 2006 at 12:44 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Remedial
I always have seen lint free cloths recommended for record cleaning, but everytime I go into a store asking for them, I get looked at like I'm smoking dust.

Try some fine microfiber cleaning cloth - that should work.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Users who are viewing this thread

Back