Just got first 3 Elvis Costello remasters!
Aug 24, 2001 at 1:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

markl

Hangin' with the monkeys.
Member of the Trade: Lawton Audio
Grabbed these the other day. First 3 releases are 3 of my least favorite EC albums, though I still love them:

1. My Aim is True ('77 debut)
2. Spike ('89 Warner debut)
3. All This Useless Beauty (' 96 album that got him dropped from Warner)

These remasters will come 3 at a time, and they are arranged by "theme" not chronology. EC considers these his 3 true solo albums, even though the Attractions are on #3. All 3 come with extensive liner notes from the man himself and lots of nice new artwork. There is also a "free" second disk of extra material with each new CD.

I was very eager to hear these given the (IMHO) very bad Ryko re-masters of the early 90's. To me, those discs sound suffocated, flat and hashy, with some strange "effect" going on. I know these discs and their songs like the back of my hand, yet I felt like I hadn't actually "heard" them as they were intended to be heard.

How do they sound?

My Aim is True:
Frankly, not a great recording, but 100 times better than the Ryko. More air, presence and more bottom end. Well done.

Spike:
This one benefits the most of the three. Much clearer, richer, more bass, better imaging. Overall sounds very different from the original-- much more muscular and rocking.

All This Useless Beauty:
A bit smoother and maybe a hair more dynamic than the original, but not nearly as much difference as the others. But that disc only came out 5 years ago anyway.

Can't wait for the next batch!

markl

Aug 24, 2001 at 4:36 AM Post #3 of 10
I wholly agree with your assessment of the Ryko discs. I found out how flat they sounded after getting five EC albums on vinyl, where they have another sound altogether.

Aug 24, 2001 at 6:26 AM Post #4 of 10
hey, what are some of the better elvis costello albums? I've heard some of his stuff and I like it quite a bit (listening to shipbuilding right now off the high fidelity soundtrack). totally in the dark as to what his best stuff is.

Aug 24, 2001 at 11:49 AM Post #5 of 10
markl: Who is releasing them (what label?) and can you check the credits and tell us who did the remastering?

Aug 24, 2001 at 1:31 PM Post #6 of 10
Neruda, Get Happy, Blood and Chocolate [if you can find it], Last Year's Model, and My Aim Is True - all good albums, in my opinion.

Aug 24, 2001 at 4:18 PM Post #7 of 10
Beagle,
It's Rhino records, so I assume its that Bill Inglot fellow that does all their stuff. I don't have them handy, but if I check them and it's not him, I'll let you know.

Neruda,
My personal all-time favorite Costello CD's:

1. This Years Model
2. Get Happy!
3. Armed Forces
4. Brutal Youth
5. Blood and Chocolate

I gravitate toward his harder edged stuff. If you like shipbuilding, maybe you'd prefer some of his softer material like Imperial Bedroom, Painted From Memory, or All This Useless Beauty. Maybe your best bet is to start with the "best of" that Rhino also just put out.

markl

Aug 25, 2001 at 3:53 AM Post #8 of 10
Fellow Elvis Costello fans. Glad to see it :) One of the best song-writers of all time, and the best concert I've ever been to.

Neruda, do yourself a favour and buy any of Markl's recommendations, they're all great. EC is like headphones, you don't stop after just one purchase.

Aug 25, 2001 at 6:05 AM Post #9 of 10
thank you markl, huy-ha, and gorgon123!
smily_headphones1.gif
I'll see what i can do.

Aug 26, 2001 at 12:58 AM Post #10 of 10
Bill Inglot, eh? If it's the Warner/Rhino Archive series, they usually have good sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back