Just got an Ipod, need help with choosing IEMs.
Nov 25, 2008 at 8:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

brash

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,
I just got an Ipod classic 160gb and need help chooosing an IEM.
My budget is about 100 - 150 USD. I listen to mainly rock/house & classical, so need sort of an all rounder IEM with at least the same amount of bass as the UM1. I like the UM1,but was wondering if anything else would do the "job" better. Hope you guys can help and thanks in advance.

Nov 25, 2008 at 8:16 AM Post #2 of 12
sweet mother of search

Nov 25, 2008 at 8:47 AM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by brash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey everyone,
I just got an Ipod classic 160gb and need help chooosing an IEM.
My budget is about 100 - 150 USD. I listen to mainly rock/house & classical, so need sort of an all rounder IEM with at least the same amount of bass as the UM1. I like the UM1,but was wondering if anything else would do the "job" better. Hope you guys can help and thanks in advance.

If you like the UM1 I advise you to save your money, up your budget and aim for the UM2. But if you really must stick to your budget you can try the Superfi 5.

Nov 26, 2008 at 3:17 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

I'm in asia, so I cant get the 50% discount on the custom 3's. Any others ideas? thanks.

nope! that's about it
atsmile.gif

i'm kiddin:

- Etymotic Er4 series ("P" is prob. your best option)
- UE super.fi series
- Shure SE310
- Atrio M5

I would believe the Shure is the all-around IEM of choice in this list? Please check with some pro Head-fiers.
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by toxic888 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nope! that's about it
atsmile.gif

i'm kiddin:

- Etymotic Er4 series ("P" is prob. your best option)
- UE super.fi series
- Shure SE310
- Atrio M5

I would believe the Shure is the all-around IEM of choice in this list? Please check with some pro Head-fiers.
biggrin.gif

etys arent known for their bass though.

Nov 27, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

I'm in asia, so I cant get the 50% discount on the custom 3's. Any others ideas? thanks.

You could have a friend in the states buy the Custom 3's, then ship them to your location in Asia.

All you have to do is pay $150 + shipping to [Country]. Doing this for a package that's only about a pound or two or maybe a kilogram at most shouldn't be all that expensive.

If you decide to do this, be sure to do it before the half off sale is done on November 30th.

Nov 27, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you like the UM1 I advise you to save your money, up your budget and aim for the UM2. But if you really must stick to your budget you can try the Superfi 5.

I would agree but I would also suggest saving up for the triple.fi pro 10s. I know this is twice your budget but I have the super.fi pro 5 and I can say that the triple.fis are more than twice as satisfying. Bass is fuller and highs are much better. Soundstage is excellent. Fit is much better (at least to me) and the cable is much better. I think a person could stop the upgrade cycle by going straight for the triple.fi's. I'm not sure that I want to part with my super.fi's but I will think about it. They are the clear variety, which are sweet IMHO.
normal_smile .gif
In other words, spending good money on smaller upgrades will wind up being more costly than spending more on the final final. But, then again, if I hadn't bought the super.fi's first I probably would not have appreciated how much better the triple.fi's are.
frown.gif

Nov 28, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #12 of 12
I'm waiting for my klipsch custom-3's which I got for half off. You can get the X-5 For klipsch for 125, which is a great deal. or Custom-3 for 150 or X-10 for 175, which is a little out of your range. Or you can go get Etymotic's for 150 or 80 depending on model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back