June Windsor (ontario) Meet?
May 19, 2004 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

The_Mac

500+ Head-Fier
Would anyone be interested in a meet on a June Saturday in Windsor? I'm thinking either the 12th or 19th but could do the 5th as well if it worked better for people. Would be at my place with plenty of space, either in the basement if there are lots of people, or in the rec room if there are few.

It's a 2 hour drive from London, 3 from Toronto, and a short drive from most of south east Michigan and north west ohio. It's a reasonable drive from Buffalo as well.

I'd have minimal gear myself, but I'd have my computer source, my SR-125's, and my aiwa minsystem for redbook. I could also try to get the marantz and electrostatic/dynamic speakers working, but the marantz is a little worn.

Anyone interested?

May 20, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #2 of 9
I would more-than-likely show up. I don't have a ton of gear either, but I could bring anything in my sig.

Also, if anyone, as you suggested in the other thread, wanted to carpool from the general Ann Arbor/ Canton area I could haul a couple of people and gear.

May 20, 2004 at 5:05 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by chosen1
I would more-than-likely show up. I don't have a ton of gear either, but I could bring anything in my sig.

Also, if anyone, as you suggested in the other thread, wanted to carpool from the general Ann Arbor/ Canton area I could haul a couple of people and gear.

It may not be stax geat and a meridian player, but it's exactly the stuff that I want to listen to. I'm saving up for an amp, and then eventually another set of cans, so I'd love to hear your gear.

May 25, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #4 of 9
*frowns a little*

so nobody else would be interested in a meet?

I'm all by my lonesome here aside from chosen1?

Bump!

Jun 1, 2004 at 5:16 PM Post #5 of 9
I've private-messaged some folks from southwestern ontario or metro-detroit area, letting them know about the meet to see if I could stir some interest.

Some concenrs were raised about customs and duties with crossing the border, and I've spoken to canada customs and they re-assured me that if you do cross the border with your gear, you can declare it, pay the duty, and then on your way home, drop by the customs house and get a refund (he wasn't specific if it would be an instant return of funds or if it would be in the mail, and I don't know how much duty would be levied on gear coming in). American customs get handled the same way, you declare it on your way to canada, and then on your way home, you show the receipt that you crossed with it and you're through free.

Other concerns were expressed about the date, and I'd be very flexible about when and what day. Saturday or sunday would be good for me, and any weekend from now until mid july. We just need some interest.

Jun 3, 2004 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 9
A note about Canada/U.S. Customs...

At the recent Vancouver/Lower Mainland, B.C. meet, we had a couple of Head-Fiers come up from Seattle, Washington. They brought a truckload (literally) of gear (e.g. Stax Omega II, Meridian 507, Arcam CD72t, Grado HP-1, custom LaRocco PPA, some PCDPs, various other headphones, tons of cables, etc.) worth several thousands of dollars.

Other than having to answer the usual questions (e.g. destination, purpose of the trip, length of stay, etc.), they explained that none of the gear would be sold, and that all of the gear would be returning to the U.S. after the meet was over. They showed proof of ownership, the items were marked down on their Customs Declaration Cards, and they passed through. On their way home, they made it through U.S. Customs without a hitch.

Last note: Having proof of ownership of your gear will be useful when you cross back into the U.S., also. It shows that you didn't buy it in Canada, in the case that U.S. Customs wants to levy duties on it.

D.

Jun 3, 2004 at 3:58 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Demolition
A note about Canada/U.S. Customs...

At the recent Vancouver/Lower Mainland, B.C. meet, we had a couple of Head-Fiers come up from Seattle, Washington. They brought a truckload (literally) of gear (e.g. Stax Omega II, Meridian 507, Arcam CD72t, Grado HP-1, custom LaRocco PPA, some PCDPs, various other headphones, tons of cables, etc.) worth several thousands of dollars.

Other than having to answer the usual questions (e.g. destination, purpose of the trip, length of stay, etc.), they explained that none of the gear would be sold, and that all of the gear would be returning to the U.S. after the meet was over. They showed proof of ownership, the items were marked down on their Customs Declaration Cards, and they passed through. On their way home, they made it through U.S. Customs without a hitch.

Last note: Having proof of ownership of your gear will be useful when you cross back into the U.S., also. It shows that you didn't buy it in Canada, in the case that U.S. Customs wants to levy duties on it.

D.

Demo, thanks very much for the information, that's very, very reassuring to me, and hopefully will help generate a little more interest, maybe, hopefully.

C'mon people, someone has got to want to come!

Jun 9, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #8 of 9
I MIGHT be able to come the weekend of the 19th, but it's pretty tight right now. Definately can't make it on the 12th or the 26th (building a deck and attending a DMB concert, respectively)

Jun 9, 2004 at 6:14 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom
I MIGHT be able to come the weekend of the 19th, but it's pretty tight right now. Definately can't make it on the 12th or the 26th (building a deck and attending a DMB concert, respectively)

Well, that would be wonderful.

We'll tentatively set that as our date, Saturday June 19. It's two weekends from now, and anyone and everyone who would be interested in coming, I'l love to hear from you.

Gord SW Ont, chosen1, Elrod-Tom, Nightfall, anyone else.

Let me know if you'd be interested in coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back