Jaybird Freedom or Bose Soundsport wireless?
Jul 23, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #3 of 5
For what?

Gym, general listening, jogging outside?

The freedoms are somewhat difficult to put in, but they completely isolate. They have the better sound quality, they don't have that warm veil senns have, they're pretty clear - black is black. Bass is also tighter and more controlled. I was listening to Turandot last night with them, and the voices were distinct and the soundstage was actually pretty good...not terribly wide like k701s, but definitely there and pleasing.

Instruments resolve pretty well..I was listening to black eyed peas "the end" cd - you could hear the distinct 16th notes the synths often play - it's not just a blur like with some iems. Bass was tight and controlled.

Note that these are only 4 hours for battery life, but include a battery add on, which makes it a bit bulky when attached.

These are very comfortable when laying down, and replaced my melec m6s. I think they're too good for the gym (read the reviews about sweat damage), so they're my yard work/and now my general listening wireless IEMS.

I made one phone call with them, and the other person couldn't hear me well. But that's not my main use for them, so it's a non-issue for me.

The Bose I only had for one day, but returned them for the slightly cheaper Powerbeats 2. They're open (like the ie2), which are great for jogging/walking outside. I thought they were more comparable to the beats, than the freedoms..what I didn't like about them was the remote. The clicking mechanism felt kind of cheap and like a weak point. On the beats, it felt tight and like better quality. The reviews also made me nervous (lots of breaking due to sweat), but Bose apparently fixed the issue and is updating the line accordingly.

The good news was - they were really comfortable, but kind of bulky..definitely can't lay down in them like with the freedoms.

The Powerbeats 2 aren't quite open like the Bose, but you can hear outside noise perfectly well, and they feel sturdy. I suspect Amazon is filled with numerous counterfeits, which is affecting the review score.

I wish I kept the Bose longer to get a better sense of their sound signature, but I remember thinking it was more of the "fun" sound sig Bose generally has. Not audiophile quality, but warm, pleasing, and fun.

Whatever you get, get a warranty if you can.

edit -

Maybe I'm crazy, but I actually went out and bought the Bose set again after work..

The Bose is definitely more veiled and warmer than the Freedoms, and the soundstage doesn't come close. Listening to the Turandot aria (Non Piangere Liu) - things often sound on top of one another, and the dynamics of the Bose isn't the same. The Bose really kind of robs the emotion from the performance - with the Freedoms you can hear the distinct voices and dynamics of each part pretty well. Comparing the Freedoms to my other iems - I'm actually pretty amazed of their quality and that they are bluetooth.

I think the Bose gets slightly less overwhelmed with bass parts than the Beats, but I think the Beats are the funner of the two. Putting it simply, the Bose are kind of boring with their dynamic robbing/on top of itself sound stage.

Get the Bose if you absolutely need open IEMs. Freedoms if you care about sound quality, or Beats if you simply want a pair to exercise in.

Aug 13, 2016 at 11:16 AM Post #4 of 5
wow thanks for the thorough insight.

Planning on using them for gym and general listening. 

If only the bose have the same sound quality as the jaybirds =( 

Read somewhere that jaybirds often fall off while jogging or working out, and the bose is more comfortable to use.

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #5 of 5
If sound quality is what you're looking for then the Bose Soundsport Wireless sounds way better than the Jaybird Freedom and X3. I purchased my X3 at BestBuy and returned it after I tested the Soundsport Wireless at the Bose outlet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back