Its Upgrade time...
Oct 7, 2014 at 4:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

kittle31

New Head-Fier
Hi All.

I have an old Sennheiser PXC 250 that is falling apart, and needs an upgrade.  Poking around on this site gives me more info than I know what to do with.  Since I cant take any of these home for a demo, I have to go by reviews... which despite the best efforts of the reviewer are somewhat subjective.  So I need your help.

What im looking for:
Required:
   On-ear
   closed-back with good isolation (primary use is in the office)
   no amp needed
   non-detachable cord (that way it doesnt fall out)
   accurate and unforgiving sound

nice to have:
  switchable noise cancellation for plane trips

I listen to a wide variety of instrumental music.  Classical, Dance, Techno and a smattering of easy listening.
Primary use will be in the office, so I need good isolation so others are not affected by what I listen to

Poking around the site, 2 sets caught my eye:
B&W P5 -- I love their floorstanders, but the flat ear cups leave me wondering how it will work.
Beyerdynamic DT1350 -- I see the brand a lot, and it seems to get good reviews.

Budget is to $400

Oct 10, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #3 of 3
Yep. All reviews are subjective. Best thing to do is buy from somewhere that has good return policy just in case :)

I like the DT1350s, but I don't find them very comfortable. I would not recommend on ear for best comfort or, in many cases, isolation.

If you would like more of a neutral headphone with just a bit of bass and treble emphasis, I would recommend the Soundmagic HP150. And while the headphone cables are detachable, they won't fall out; they are turned and locked in via the connector sleeve mechanism.

Apple stores generally seem to carry the B&W headphones so that you can try them if you have Apple store nearby.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back