It's tough being a classic rock fan these days you know...
Feb 24, 2002 at 5:10 PM Post #17 of 21
OneMalt I went to Buff State in the early 80's and UB in the early 90's! Do you remember WUWU? Now that WAS a radio station! Probably one of the best I have ever heard aside from a C.W. Post station and WPLJ (when it first started) both on Long Island, NY. I guess the college stations have a lot more leeway to play whatever they want here in the states, but like I said before I have trouble finding any of them out here in CA. How are the college stations in the UK davidcotton?

As for Black Sabbath, I could care less if I ever hear "War Pigs" or "Iron Man" again! They have so many great songs and you never hear 99% of them. How about "Killing Yourself To Live" or "Snowblind" or "Symptom Of The Universe" or etc., etc., etc. I did hear, a very long time ago, "Air Dance" on a JAZZ STATION. I thought I was in some sort of parallel universe or something. Imagine that, BS on a jazz station...
eek.gif

Regards

CM

P.S. - I don't see the point of listening to dance music unless you're DANCING!

Feb 24, 2002 at 5:31 PM Post #18 of 21
Cherokee Mist,

Oh yeah, I remember WUWU! Gary Storm, Jim Santella, et al (BTW, I'm listening to a weekly Blues show right now hosted by Santella...he's still around). Didn't WUWU play "Psycho Chicken" 24/7 for the first 2 or 3 days of their existence without telling anyone what they were all about?

The Grand Daddy FM station (and IMO, all-time best) of them all in Buffalo was the old WGRQ. It debuted around 1973 with an AOR format and I was instantly hooked. It was our first departure from top 40 AM formats and pretty radical (music-wise) for Buffalo at the time.

BTW, I was at UB myself in the mid 70's.

Feb 24, 2002 at 5:44 PM Post #19 of 21
Buffalo always had good radio stations while I was there. Not sure about the beginnings of WUWU though.

The Buffalo Auditorium was the site of the most rowdy concert I have ever seen and I have seen well over 500 concerts. It was Judas Priest and there must have been over 100 fights that night. It got to the point where nobody was watching the concert anymore.

CM

Feb 24, 2002 at 7:42 PM Post #20 of 21
Remember the ramps at the Aud? Depending on your "condition", it could be a long walk to the Nosebleed seats.

The Aud stands empty now. Things have all moved up the street to the HSBC Arena. The Arena is a nice facility but I've never seen a concert there.

Feb 25, 2002 at 2:35 AM Post #21 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by cajunchrist
Classic rock radio stations have the smallest playlist of any format, with most stations having from 400 to 500 song repertoires.

You are probablly right in assuming that their playlists are not dispersed evenly about the 400 to 500 songs, that they likely most heavily rotate about 100+ songs.

While I said above that I prefer KFOG in the Bay Area to The Bone, because they have more variety, even KFOG gets repetitive. They have a promo that goes something like: "Four decades of great classic rock!" -- we always joke about it: if you have four decades worth of music to choose from, why do you play the same songs over and over?
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back