It's all about the minidiscs baby!!!
Sep 14, 2001 at 1:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Vertigo-1

Señor Sony
Sony MZ-N1 is Sony's first NetMD Type-R DSP MDLP MiniDisc recorder equiped with high quality DSP Type-R with world's longest playback time of up to 100 hours in LP4. Unit is smaller and lighter than previous MZ-R909. Revolutionary NetMD feature allows high speed (SP 2-4X/LP2 16X/LP4 30X faster than realtime) transfer of sound and text data between PC and MD through OpenMG Jukebox software (same copyright protection software used on Sony Memory Stick player see OpenMG). Improved liquid crystal LCD panel that displays 3 lines of text. Redesigned stick remote displays Kanji (Chinese characters) and performs index search functions. Light and durable Magnesium casing. Equiped with new Group Function and G-Protection. Also comes with recharging stand with onboard USB connection.

NOTE: The features below are available for previous Sony recorders but are not mentioned for N1.
Unit's RAM is a "Name Bank" that stores up to 600 characters of frequently used words for fast editing and titling. "Joint text" operation allows direct digital text dubbing when connected to CD player through optional connector (RK-TXT1), records CD TEXT automatically. Unit can edit disc while playback and recording. Easy index search function in remote control to retrieve desired songs quickly. "Personal Disc Memory" to remember sound setting for up to 20 different discs. Preset sound of up to 64 different possible combinations. 7 Step speed/tempo control for playback (good for language study and recording industry).
NetMD (SP 2-4X/LP2 16X/LP4 30X)
DSP Type-R
Redesigned remote
Group Function
Index search in remote
"One Touch Disc Ejection"
Personal Disc Memeory
7 Step Speed Control
"Name Bank" stores frequently used words
Synchronized recording for digital, analog, and mic
Alarm Clock
Mic plug-in power
G-Protection anti-shock memory
Recharging/USB stand

Accessories LCD remote, recharging stand, headphone, NiMH cell, AC adapter, AA cell case, carrying case, instruction manual, warranty card.
Colors: Silver / Blue

Max playback / record / recharge time: 73/87/100
28/42/50
3.5 hours
Dimensions: 78.7 (W) x 71.8 (H) x 16.9 (D) mm

Weight: 117g (including NiMH battery)

Intro date / production: 12.01 / 30,000
Prices: Open price
Review: N/A
Links: Sony's Japanese press release
Sony's Official Japanese page
Special note(s): N/A

sony_mzn1.jpg

sony_mzn1_1.jpg

sony_mzn1_2.jpg

Boy am I glad I waited on the R909! Minidisc technology comes out so fast, it just...rules!
biggrin.gif
When's that Treo supposed to come out again?
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 14, 2001 at 2:01 AM Post #2 of 13
More NetMD equipment:

sony0064.jpg

sony0037.jpg

sony0054.jpg

Looks like Sony is really going to push this NetMD concept HARD...

Sep 14, 2001 at 2:14 AM Post #3 of 13
Aw man - I don't WANT to be happy at this moment.....but I can't help it.

THIS ROCKS!!!!!

I want toys.....MORE TOYS.....

Sep 14, 2001 at 4:46 AM Post #4 of 13
That looks sweet. I'm really glad to see that they redesigned the external/detachable battery compartment. That is the one thing I hated about the design of my 900. It's so flimsy and held on by the tinniest of screws. That redesigned compartment looks a lot more sensible.
tongue.gif

Sep 14, 2001 at 4:49 AM Post #5 of 13
Oh, heck. The second photo didn't load in window. That's not the external battery compartment, it's the charger. Oh, well. Where's the jog dial? Don't tell me that's already gone after the 909? I do like that minisystem - especially the nautilus (BMW) shaped speakers.

Sep 14, 2001 at 5:33 AM Post #6 of 13
that's ain interesting little minisystem (the second one). Wonder if it sounds any good.

Sep 14, 2001 at 7:50 AM Post #7 of 13
Wow GREAT pictures! I saw the Sony PR pics yesterday, but those others are beautiful.

Oh, and the jog dial is on the upper right side; you can barely see it.

Sep 14, 2001 at 11:30 AM Post #8 of 13
Ahhh, so that's why you been selling some of your gear. Nice MD recorder. Sony the one and only. One question, is the recording level adjustable during recording?

BTW, thanks for the Sennheiser DSP Pro.

Sep 14, 2001 at 11:36 AM Post #9 of 13
Nah bradda, I don't have one...I don't think anybody does, it was just announced yesterday.
tongue.gif
Those pics of the player in a hand ain't mine.

I have to admit, I'd still probably skip this generation of NetMD players, and wait and see if they can really iron things out...because Sony just recently closed down their Emarker service and is refunding the price of the Emarker to buyers (got one myself, but I'll be keeping it as a kewl keychain that says Sony on it
biggrin.gif
), which shows that online networks like this still need to be ironed out.

Sep 15, 2001 at 5:13 PM Post #10 of 13
The jog dial is there
smily_headphones1.gif

I really like the N1's looks, it's been so long since I got excited about these portables. Even if NetMD is not available to Mac users, I can justify the purchase... the N1's street price is likely to be in the 45,000 yen mark, about 7000-10000 yen higher than the R909.

Unlike Sharp, Sony's Kanji remote seems to bridge all "single-space" characters (English, #, katakana) into "double-space", so you get 6 character display whichever character set you use.

Artmusic, the N1 seems largely identical to the R909 in functions (the titling is the same, at least). Since the R909 could change rec level on the fly, I'd assume the N1 can, too.

The new Vaio MX laptop also premiered at the event, and the NT1 deck (I think) has no optical input apart from the NetMD connection.

Sep 16, 2001 at 1:10 AM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Even if NetMD is not available to Mac users

Leon, I was thinking the same thing, since NetMD will require software encoding on a computer. On the other hand, Japan has the highest concentration of Mac users of any country in the world, so there's hope
wink.gif

Sep 17, 2001 at 2:57 PM Post #12 of 13
Agreed MacDEF... I think they eventually made the Clie Mac-compatible too, so I'll look forward to NetMD on Macs.
smily_headphones1.gif

(...But I'm happy with my Palm m505!)
cool.gif

Additional trivia for you all, in case they were not mentioned elsewhere:

The N1 walkman can be powered by the PC from the USB connection. So if you're travelling that might be

The NT1 deck does not have any means of audio input, apart from the USB port. Operation is also entirely on the computer.

The tuner of the CMT-C7NT (the NetMD version of the latest "QBric") does not go above 90MHz FM.

Sep 20, 2001 at 3:02 AM Post #13 of 13
Just a correction of what I posted...

The Vaio MX prototype, which was showcased at the product launch party, is not a laptop. It's a desktop that Sony designed to act as a "music server" - all the music sources connect to this (including FM), and you "check out" the contents to a variety of portable equipments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back