isn't it ironic?
Jul 15, 2004 at 8:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

taoster

Headphoneus Supremus
It's been over a month since I've used my headphone setup or my new speaker setup. Both costs me a bundle and sounds pretty damn good to my ears. Instead, I've been listening to the radio out of my $500 Sony mini system, and enjoying it?!

Isn't it ironic? help.

Jul 15, 2004 at 8:15 AM Post #2 of 13
I find myself listening to the radio a lot lately as well while my rig sits up in my room collecting dust...........for now. I go through spells where I just don't want to listen to music through my HPs or Etys.
rolleyes.gif

Jul 15, 2004 at 8:45 AM Post #5 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by N@Z
Make that 3... at least you're listening to a $500 radio, I'm listening to an old pocket radio.

I gave my pocket radio to my mum
tongue.gif

Jul 15, 2004 at 4:26 PM Post #7 of 13
I find that perfectly normal. When listening to the radio there is no analysising, you just enjoy the music. There is a different type of emotional attachment, one is left with one's thoughts. You are an observer and not a participant; you are emotionally detached. Since the frequency response is very narrow, the tonal quality is better balanced, you are not as involved as when you are feeling massive amounts of bass, nor are you hyper listening to the highs; most radios mainly play just the midrange. Since it is more background music you are not so involved with programming yourself by music selection. You can do the same by listening to internet radio or www.di.fm, but you're more likely to be critical of the music selection, distortion, PRaT, etc. With a regular radio you are not likely to really discern distortion, if you do you make an immediate adjustment by repositioning the antennae and you go back to relaxing. With a radio you just tune in to a station that plays your type of music and you let go of being critical.

Jul 15, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #9 of 13
Sad to say but I haven't (intentionally) listened to a radio in more years than I can count. I do use my home stereo with a large (300) cd changer and just hit shuffle if I don't feel like headphones, but I just can't stand the commercials on the radio.

Jul 16, 2004 at 3:06 AM Post #10 of 13
From time to time, I like to run a mini-to-RCA from the headphone jack of a $40 battery-powered FM Stereo radio into my PPA and listen. On a good FM Stereo station these days, even the commercials use sounds that have some pretty amazing spatial and spectral properties. And it's nice to let someone else do the program selection for a change too.

Jul 16, 2004 at 3:24 AM Post #11 of 13
I rarely listen to FM anymore. I do have the XM radio on a good amount of the time especially over the weekends. I have found myself using headphones or Ety's at work more and more as it seems to have gotten noisier lately.

Most of the time at home I have been using speakers though. Last weekend I did have some quiet time and I started to compare the Grado PS-1 to the HD-600 using a variety of different amps. I need to do some more listening this weekend and write up my thoughts.

Jul 16, 2004 at 11:48 AM Post #12 of 13
oh no! ...rig-fatigue strikes!
very_evil_smiley.gif

I agree with what braillediver said though - sometimes i need a break to keep me thakful for my rig.

PS: johc_jcb, i'm looking forward to that review-comparison.
wink.gif

PPS: and fwiw, whoa, for a moment i thought this was an alanis thread.
tongue.gif

Aug 25, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #13 of 13
It could possibly be less ear fatigue when listening. There is an audiophile youtuber who says his wife does not like listening to his high end rig. She would rather listen to music through the TV speakers. He says that his audiophile system gives her a “headache”. Also these days TV speakers are actually not too bad especially for background music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back