Is W3 the first 3-way IEM or is UE triple.fi
Dec 19, 2008 at 4:43 AM Post #16 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok AFAIK a 2 way 3 driver setup will have just one crossover unit the consists of a low pass filter and a high pass filter (2 way) generally. now in this instance there will be two bass/mid drivers and one 'tweeter' or high range driver. the highpass filter will pass frequencies in that range to a driver that is designed for highs and therefor it will respond to the information that it is fed. now likely what is going on with the 2 low range drivers is that they are both fed from the same low pass filter but one is either tuned to respond to/produce only certain mid/low frequencies and the other is also tuned for the other frequencies but they share the same LPF. or they may use a simple capacitor to act as a secondary 'crossover' of sorts. but the second option is more likely in speakers because caps high quality enough for this purpose are likely too large to fit inside the driver unit. a 3 way crossover would consist of a LPF (low pass filter) for bass, a BPF (band pass filter) for mids, and a HPF (high pass filter) for highs a band pass filter is usually made up of another secondary LPF and HPF. so you see there is quite a difference. there may also be another high pass filter on the bass driver so it isnt fed frequencies that are too low and could damage the unit. and the HF driver may also have a LPF to stop it being fed frequencies that are too high. so effectively in this case the network would consist of 3 BPF (band pass filters). now i'm no EE so there may be some things in there that I am not explaining properly but thats the way I understand it.

ok thanks. it still sounds to me that if UE said the highs had a dedicated driver they would be ok, but by saying that two of their three drivers are dedicated, they are fudging their way into saying they have a 3-way

Dec 19, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #17 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by idiotekniQues /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok thanks. it still sounds to me that if UE said the highs had a dedicated driver they would be ok, but by saying that two of their three drivers are dedicated, they are fudging their way into saying they have a 3-way

It's just a marketing trick. If they had first three-way driver it would be written all over the place. Instead they playing with words trying to confuse customers. Ether way, it's not that it matters that much for the sound like some think, just like the number of drivers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back