is virtualizing surround sound on a higher end audiophile headset a good idea?
Apr 16, 2023 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Goldhamster916

New Head-Fier
Hi,
i am looking for the maximum immersion sound wise in single player games. Overall sound quality, bass and especially soundstage and imaging are most important for me here. Thats why i am considering the Hifiman arya. As some of you know its possible to emulate surround sound for headphones via software. At my current low end headphones it definetly adds to the immersion. However i am wondering if its a good idea to use it on the hifiman arya. Would it improve the soundstage and imaging or rather ruin it? would the good sound stage and imaging of the aryas even matter when its enabled? or would it indeed make the virtualize sound effect form the hrtf processing make way more impressive?

thanks in advance!

Apr 16, 2023 at 3:30 PM Post #2 of 3
If you use software virtualization with a high end headphone and you like the sound, then it's good - for you. If you don't like the sound, then it's bad - for you.

Seriously they're your ears and it's your money. Buy the Aryas, use the virtualizer effects (it sounds like you already have the software) then either keep using it or stop using it.

I use the Wavelet app on my phone (which is also my primary streaming device) and it has virtualizer settings, which I don't ever turn on. But that's me.

Apr 16, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #3 of 3
Hi,
i am looking for the maximum immersion sound wise in single player games. Overall sound quality, bass and especially soundstage and imaging are most important for me here. Thats why i am considering the Hifiman arya. As some of you know its possible to emulate surround sound for headphones via software. At my current low end headphones it definetly adds to the immersion. However i am wondering if its a good idea to use it on the hifiman arya. Would it improve the soundstage and imaging or rather ruin it? would the good sound stage and imaging of the aryas even matter when its enabled? or would it indeed make the virtualize sound effect form the hrtf processing make way more impressive?

thanks in advance!
It's going to depend on how well audio is implemented in the game. In the Last of Us Part 1 on PC the 2 channel is terrible. There is no real soundstage, it's sounds like left right and center, and forget about hearing an enemy coming up behind you. Turn on Dolby Atmos for Headphones and it is a big improvement. Imaging on where characters are within the stage is spot on.

An exact opposite of this is CoD. These games have always had a good 2 channel implementation, where any simulated surround sound does not make a difference.

I say for games the Arya will serve you quite well, I've used the V2 and Stealth magnet editions in games and never had any issues with the cans themselves. When it comes to games and movies, I've always felt that sound stage depth is more important than width if you really want that well treated theater room immersive sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back