Is there a way to lower headphone output level?
Nov 19, 2023 at 5:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Lillie

100+ Head-Fier
I need advice please is there a way to lower the output level from headphone out on integrated amplifier.

I have a Denon 600ne integrated amplifier which has a headphone output. I have plugged in my Sennheiser 599, I know they are easy to drive but the sound output is too loud . I can only just move the volume knob from zero and it’s too loud.

What is the solution? I also have the Denon 600 cd player with no headphone out .

Would an in-line volume cable lower the volume output from the amplifier?

Please can anyone give advice .
Thank you.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2023 at 7:26 AM Post #2 of 8
You could get a resistor adapter.
They are usually inexpensive and sold at different ratings, usually at increments between 32 to 600 ohms.

The only drawback is that resistor adapters can attenuate certain frequencies, so you may find that it sounds slightly different through one of these adapters.
Normally the attenuation isn't greater than a few dBs, so it should be fine.

Nov 19, 2023 at 7:39 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for your reply , forgive me for being thick but how does this plug into the amplifier and where would I buy one .
I’ve googled what you suggested and am a bit lost.
Thank you

Nov 19, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #4 of 8
Nov 19, 2023 at 8:23 AM Post #5 of 8
Just as an example, this is the first hit I found on goo gle (just to make it clear that this is not a recommendation, others are available)
https://www.amazon.com/FAAEAL-Conductor-Impedance-Cancelling-Professional/dp/B07FMG8144?th=1

It's just a simple thing you plug the headphone into, and you plug it into the headphone-out on the amp.
Like a bridge bewteen the amp and headphone.

Amazing, thank you . Here comes the next stupid question…. If my headphones are 50 ohms should I be looking for a specific impedance?

Thank you .

Nov 19, 2023 at 8:43 AM Post #6 of 8
Nov 19, 2023 at 8:49 AM Post #7 of 8
Nov 22, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #8 of 8
Thank you for your help , I’m more clued up now on what I need .
I have read but I’m none the wiser.
I’ll post another question I’m sure someone will know the answer .
The issue is that the gain is too high on the amp for your headphones. The best place to change that is inside the amp. If solid-state, it's usually as easy as changing the value of a couple of resistors. If tubes, you might have to use resistor attenuation, as already mentioned. Even then, though, it's better to do that on the inside ahead of the volume pot. That protects against any frequency effects as mentioned earlier.

I realize that may be too much for most, but if you have a schematic of the amp circuitry and can do some soldering, it's the best choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back