Is the M-Audio Transit without amp enough to drive the HD555?
Sep 14, 2004 at 5:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

GeekMystique

New Head-Fier
This is a rather specific combination question, I'm mostly looking for people who own both the Transit and the HD555 (or comparable model, 515?) headphones...

I've recently ordered a M-Audio transit and Sennheiser HD555s to replace my rather crappy Sony CD480/SBLive value combo. I'm wondering whether the M-Audio transit is able to drive the HD555s to satisfying levels.

I can in no way call myself an audiophile, although I am somewhat of an experienced enthousiast. From what I gathered from these vastly resourceful forums, most of you would point out the sound would be better with an amp either way. Since I'm not planning on spending a lot (this set has cost me a just-from-college-affordable $160). I hope i can keep it inexpensive by running it without an amp.

I'd like to be able to drive the HD555s to relatively high levels. The level which most people would call pretty loud but not earsplittingly unbearable. Is the little amp of the transit able to create enough juice to accomplish this, without resorting to distortion? And, as a side question, how would a CD player like my iRiver IMP550 work on the 555s (output is comparable to standard Sonys)?

I'd greatly appreciate it if someone who owns the HD555 could try connecting them without an amp, and give them a test drive.

Thanks for all the help you've given me this far, HeadFi!
-GM

Sep 14, 2004 at 6:07 PM Post #2 of 4
Probably yes, these are quite efficient cans. I use my CMoy at unity gain (no voltage amplification at all)
tongue.gif

Sep 14, 2004 at 11:49 PM Post #3 of 4
honestly, I would say no.

I always thought that my headphones sounded fine directly out of the transit, but after building my first cmoy, and testing it at work, the difference in sound was actually quite noticible. Even using a sony v6, there was a lot more detail, dynamics and bass response. Seeing as how I can build a CMOY for around $20, I would say that an amp would be an easy choice addition.

Sep 15, 2004 at 6:22 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the replies so far, they are kind of contradictory though.. I do agree with you, Raif, a cheap amp would be the right choice, supply is pretty hard where I live though (Netherlands) - and no time/skill to build one myself.

Calling out to anyone who owns both the Transit and a HD555?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back